1 comment January 14th, 2008 Headsman
On this date in 2005, Nguyen Van Van, the onetime coach of Vietnam’s national taekwondo team, was shot for murder in Ho Chi Minh City.
Martial arts master executed
From correspondents in Hanoi
January 14, 2005
A FORMER coach of the Vietnamese national tae kwon do team was executed by firing squad in Vietnam for murder, a court official said today. Nguyen Van Van was put to death today at Long Binh execution ground in the southern Ho Chi Minh City, an official from the city People’s Court said.
A municipal appeal court handed down in June 2004 the death sentence to Van, who was only sentenced to life imprisonment at his first trial in March of the same year, for murdering a man in an ambush on December 19, 1996.
The incident took place at a cafe after one of Van’s sons got involved in a brawl with a customer. Accompanied by family members, Van stormed into the cafe where he injured the cafe owner and stabbed to death his brother-in-law, Le Hong Quan.
On this day..
- 1884: Not Crow Dog, saved by an ex parte - 2017
- 1528: Leonhard Schiemer, Anabaptist pacifist - 2016
- 1876: Michael DeHay, in fire and maddened frenzy - 2015
- 1730: Neither James Prouse nor James Mitchel, much to their surprise - 2014
- 1864: Five Virginia City road agents - 2013
- 1887: Thomas Cluverius, Richmond murderer - 2012
- 2010: Six Sudanese southerners from Soba Aradi - 2011
- 1772: Susanna Margaretha Brandt, Faust inspiration - 2010
- 1879: James McDonnell and Charles Sharpe - 2009