1903: Arthur Alfred Lynch condemned 1795: Unspecified Robespierrists

1989: Ted Bundy, psycho killer

January 24th, 2009 Headsman

Qu’est-ce que c’est?

It was 20 years today that Ted Bundy, the signature sexual psychopath in a golden age of serial killers,* rode the lightning in Florida’s Starke Prison.

Executed Today is pleased to mark the occasion with a conversation with Louisville crime writer Kevin M. Sullivan, author of a forthcoming2009 book on Ted Bundy … and a man who knows how the world looks from inside Bundy’s ski mask.

Ted Bundy is obviously one of the most iconic, written-about serial killers in history. Why a book about Ted Bundy? What’s the untold story that you set out to uncover?

The desire, or drive, if you will, to write an article about Ted Bundy and then create a 120,000 plus word book about the murders, was born out of my crossing paths with his infamous murder kit. Had Jerry Thompson [a key detective on the Bundy case -ed.] left Bundy’s stuff in Utah that May of 2005, well, it would have been an enjoyable meeting with the former detective, but I’m certain it would have all ended quietly there. Indeed, I doubt if I’d even considered writing an article for Snitch [a now-defunct crime magazine -ed.], much less a book about the killings. But it was having all that stuff in my hands, and in my home, and then being given one of the Glad bags from Ted’s VW that made it very real (or surreal) to me, and from this, a hunger to find out more about the crimes led me forward.

Ted Bundy’s gear, right where you want it — image courtesy of Kevin M. Sullivan. (Check the 1975 police photo for confirmation.)

Believe me, in a thousand years, I never would have expected such a thing to ever come my way. I can’t think of anything more odd or surreal.

ET: You mentioned that you think you’ve been able to answer some longstanding questions about Bundy’s career. Can you give us some hints? What don’t people know about Ted Bundy that they ought to know?

I must admit, when I first decided to write a book about the crimes, I wasn’t sure what I’d find, so the first thing I had to do was read every book ever written about Bundy, which took the better portion of three or four months.

From this I took a trip to Utah to again meet with Thompson and check out the sites pertaining to Bundy and the murders in that state. Next came the acquisition of case files from the various states and the tracking down of those detectives who participated in the hunt for the elusive killer.

Now, no one could have been more surprised than me to begin discovering what I was discovering about some of these murders. But as I kept hunting down the right people and the right documents, I was able to confirm these “finds” at every turn. And while I cannot reveal everything here, It’s all in the book in great detail. Indeed, you could say that my book is not a biography in the truest sense, but rather an in-depth look at Bundy and the murders from a vantage point that is quite unique. I wish I could delve further into these things now , but I must wait until it’s published.

The Bundy story has a magnetic villain and a host of victims … was there a hero? Was there a lesson?

The real heroes in this story are the detectives who worked day and night for years to bring Ted Bundy to justice. And if there’s a lesson to be learned from all of this, it is this: It doesn’t matter how handsome or articulate a person might be, or how nicely they smile at you, for behind it all, there could reside the most diabolical person you’ll ever meet! We need to remember this.

But how can you act on that lesson without living in a continual state of terror? Bundy strikes me as so far outside our normal experience, even the normal experience of criminality, that I’m inclined to wonder how much can be generalized from him.

Actually, (and I might say, thank God here!) people as “successful” as Ted Bundy don’t come our way very often. I mean, the guy was a rising star in the Republican Party in Washington, had influential friends, a law student, and certainly appeared to be going places in life. Some were even quite envious of his ascension in life. However, it was all a well-placed mask that he wore to cover his true feelings and intentions. On the outside he was perfect, but on the inside a monster. He just didn’t fit the mold we’re used to when we think of a terrible killer, does he?

Now, there are those among us — sociopaths — who can kill or do all manner of terrible things in life and maintain the nicest smile upon their faces, but again, just beneath the surface ticks the heart of a monster, or predator, or what ever you might want to call them. Having said that, I’m not a suspicious person by nature, and so I personally judge people by their outward appearance until shown otherwise. Still, it’s difficult (if not impossible) to see the “real” individual behind the person they present to us on a daily basis.

You worked with case detectives in researching your book. How did the Ted Bundy case affect the way law enforcement has subsequently investigated serial killers? If they had it to do over again, what’s the thing you think they’d have done differently?

They all agree that today, DNA would play a part of the investigation that wasn’t available then. However, in the early portion of the murders, Bundy made few if any mistakes, as he had done his homework so as to avoid detection. As such, even this wouldn’t be a panacea when it came to a very mobile killer like Bundy who understood the very real limitations sometimes surrounding homicide investigations.

I can’t help but ask about these detectives as human beings, too. Clearly they’re in a position to deal with the heart of darkness in the human soul day in and day out and still lead normal lives … is a Ted Bundy the kind of killer that haunts or scars investigators years later, or is this something most can set aside as all in a day’s work?

They are, first of all, very nice people. And you can’t be around them (either in person, or through numerous phone calls or emails) for very long before you understand how dedicated they are (or were) in their careers as police officers. They are honorable people, with a clear sense of duty, and without such people, we, as a society, would be in dire circumstances indeed.

Even before Bundy came along, these men were veteran investigators who had seen many bad things in life, so they carried a toughness which allowed them to deal with the situations they came up against in a professional manner. That said, I remember Jerry Thompson telling me how he looked at Ted one day and thought how much he reminded him of a monster, or a vampire of sorts. And my book contains a number of exchanges between the two men (including a chilling telephone call) which demonstrate why he felt this way

How about for you, as a writer — was there a frightening, creepy, traumatic moment in your research that really shook you? Was there an emotional toll for you?

Absolutely. But the degree of “shock”, if you will, depends (at least for me) on what I know as I first delve into each murder. In the Bundy cases I had a general knowledge of how Bundy killed, so there wasn’t a great deal that caught me by surprise, as it were. Even so, as a writer, you tend to get to know the victims very well through the case files, their family members or friends, and so on. Hence, I’ll continue to carry with me many of the details of their lives and deaths for the remainder of my life. And so, lasting changes are a part of what we do.

However, I did a story a few years back about a 16 year old girl who was horribly murdered here in Kentucky, and this case did cause me to wake up in the night in a cold sweat. Perhaps it was because I have a daughter that was, at the time, only a few years younger than this girl, and that some of what transpired did catch me off guard, so to speak, as I began uncovering just what had happened to this very nice kid.

Watch for Kevin M. Sullivan’s forthcoming The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History from McFarland in summer or fall of 2009.

* In fact, the term “serial killer” was coined in the 1970’s by FBI profiler Robert Ressler, as an improvement on the sometimes inaccurate category of “stranger killer”.

Additional Bundy resources from the enormous comment thread:

Also on this date

Entry Filed under: 20th Century,Capital Punishment,Common Criminals,Crime,Death Penalty,Electrocuted,Execution,Florida,History,Infamous,Murder,Popular Culture,Serial Killers,Sex,USA

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

7,631 thoughts on “1989: Ted Bundy, psycho killer”

“If the documentations” How about “If the documentarians”

1. gary miller says:

I just listened to you interview on the Opperman report and look forward to reading your book. I have a question about Bundy’s victim on Dunwoody street in Tallahasses after the Chi
      omega attack.

How did he know a woman was home? Did he have the place already cased out?

I am glad you were able to field the questions about whether Bundy had any help. I agree he worked alone. I have studied the case extensively.

Thank you.

Hi Gary,

First, sorry it took so long getting back with you. Somehow your post got by me.

The police believe he did case the place before hand, and I agree with it. Bundy, being in hunting mode, would find it perfectly normal to be peering into windows looking for young women either living alone, or who were alone at the time (just as he did in Washington State). So I think he found her earlier that evening and made his move after the Chi O attack. And Dunwoody is very close to Chi Omega.

Yes, Bundy was a lone hunter. There isn’t any way he would ever have killed with a partner. It would have gone against the very grain of his being.

Don’t be a stranger, Gary. Come back and see us. :)

1. gary miller says:

Thank you, sir. I will. I only heard about you yesterday so I look forward to reading the posts here and your book. I was impressed with how you handled yourself in the interview re: opperman’s question on if Bundy had help from others, his ability to escape, etc.I thought you did a superb job of impressing on people that you must understand how people with deviant minds think. Many years ago, as part of my college training in the social services field, I had to work with a facility that handled adults. One patient told me that whenever he was at someone’s house he would ask to use the restroom, He would then proceed to thoroughly search the bathroom and any other room he could access. Another fellow rigged elaborate listening devices throughout his apartment building. My experiences there were a real eye opener. People do not understate that these people have something that drives them ads they possess a fearless audacity.

I look forward to communicating with you again.

Thanks Gary. I look forward to communicating with you as well.

2. KYGB says:

Thanks for the heads up, Shelley.

Noticed Hugh Aynesworth and Bob “Ted Bundy is the only famous thing I ever did and I made a career out of it” Keppel also both check in. The preview looks pretty good.

It’s neat how Keppel and Aynesworth both really hate Ted’s guts.

3. Fiz says:

I think Hugh Aynesworth hates him for all the “Let’s pretend” games Ted insisted on playing and also for telling him that he thought Hugh had what it took to be a serial killer. Gee, thanks for the compliment, Ted!

4. jane says:

Saw “Murder Made Me Famous” and there was a photo of Bundy I’ve never seen before: It was on the date of his Utah conviction in DaRonch case & he was wearing a big, clownish, polka-dot looking bowtie which was a really maniac-inspired fashion choice – would go well with his shiny patent-leather shoes. First thing I thought of was the garish clown Gacy.

Regarding Hawkins & Lake Sam ladies: As their remains were found together and Hawkins was murdered first, I think the psycho may have let the Lake Sam ladies see her. It would have tremendously added to their terror and his delight. Yes, I am AWARE there is no proof and it’s speculation but since G.H.’s remains were already there, the sicko just may have done that.

Off topic, I was watching a show called “Books du Jour” and Princess Di’s brother was on promoting his book about an executed English King. The host asked him where he got the idea for the book from and he said “An internet site most of your viewers wouldn’t be familiar with – Executed Today.” (Perhaps he thinks we’re all lowbrows who don’t read books!) Maybe he’s visited the great Bundy thread and posted under an alias here! See ya !

Hi all! Glad to see the conversation…

6. jane says:

O’Connell must have spit out his coffee when Bundy came into the office that day wearing that getup.

O’Connell interests me. He’s been so tightlipped. He knew Bundy failed the lie detector “spectacularly”, is the word I remember used. I read that he once told the cops, if you think he did all this, why don’t you just shoot him. The photos that show him standing next to Bundy outside court, fingering his beard – you can just see his wheels turning, evaluating this client he has on his hands..

7. KYGB says:

You don’t think a polka dot bow tie is the right gear for a defendant in a kidnapping trial, eh Jane? Neither did O’Connell. I think he put the whole case in his rear view mirror after it was over.

The “Murder Made Me Famous” show was pretty good in that I saw several photos I hadn’t noticed before. There were any number of factual errors in the depictions of the murders, but I’ve almost become accustomed to those kind of slip-ups. At least the guy playing Bundy looked somewhat similar to Ted.

It wasn’t perfect, but it was a lot better than the recent “ID” series on Bundy.

8. jane says:

It wasn’t just polka dot – it was large and almost feminine. Maybe he thought it softened his image – like protective coloration. It wasn’t like the bowties he wore in Florida which were ok. I agree the “Murder” series was much better than the “Angel of Decay” miniseries. Casting was way off there. Harmon played a better Bundy and I thought Reilly (?) was good too. He was a goofball but then something sinister emerged. The director said in outakes: Ladies, if your boyfriend ever asks you to play dead during sex, run don’t walk out of that relationship.

I’d have loved to be a fly on the wall in O’connell’s office during those pretrial sessions. Man oh man, that must have been a trip!

9. Hal says:

I hope that recent documentary finds its way onto YouTube or the like. Some do and some don’t. I’d still like to see the one about the death row tapes that so far hasn’t shown up anywhere.

Although unedited footage of Ted’s trial is currently on YouTube, including all of the testimony he gave in that Seattle Marriners top. As Bundy only can, even the dull bits are endlessly fascinating, just watching his mind work.

As for the recent talk about Keppel appearing everywhere, I agree Bundy appears to be used as his claim to fame. I only hope the other investigators feel they have these book / interview opportunities and just don’t take them up. If Keppel isn’t hogging the limelight to the detriment of the others, then fair play to him.

As for ‘the man who caught Ted Bundy’, this only applies to one guy and he never gets the recognition he should. Bob Hayward caught him, end of story.

He decided to investigate him.
    He chased him down.
    He knew enough about dope to smell a lie.
    He knew enough about his community to know Bundy was lying about the drive in movie.

Bob, we salute you. (He actually appears in those YouTube pre-trial scenes from Florida mentioned above).

10. Fiz says:

So do I, Hal. We don’t get much US true crime in the UK.

Hal: You said: “And best of all, his hunch on Bundy as something far more sinister, and his insistence this was fully investigated, is where the Bundy killing spree grinds to a halt (or, at least it should have done).”

I think you’re confusing Hayward with Det. Ondrak, who spoke of Bundy in such terms. Hayward was the arresting officer, of course, and believed Bundy was probably a burglar. But it was Ondrak who voiced his concerns to Thompson about the possibility of Bundy being something far worse. From my book:

“As Ondrak began talking about the law student Bundy, and how he was arrested early Saturday morning with the handcuffs and the gym bag containing taining implements that had to have a deeper meaning than being mere burglary glary tools, ears began to perk up. The seasoned investigator summed up the situation by freely admitting that there was more to this thing than he knew. “There’s something more here. I thought for a while Bundy was an armed robber, but we didn’t find a weapon. He’s not just your ordinary prowler. Some of the stuff we found in his car is obviously for tying someone up. I don’t know. Bundy is the strangest man I ever met.”
    Detective Jerry Thompson with the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office believed he’d heard the name before. He also made an immediate connection between Ondrak’s mention of the Volkswagen and the handcuffs. Intrigued, Thompson pressed Ondrak to explain what he meant by strange. Ondrak’s answer was both chilling and accurate: “I used to be in the Marine Corps…. You meet a lot of strange people in the Corps. I don’t know. It’s just a gut reaction. This man’s into something big.””

So was it a collaborative effort? Yes, but Hayward was the arresting officer only, who believed Bundy probably was a thief. Did he think more? maybe. But Ondrak made his views known almost immediately.

So here’s how it went;

Hayward arrested him.

Ondrak suspected him of being far more.

Jerry Thompson did his job and he began working him, and it paid off big time.

12. Shelley says:

DailyMotion has the video. Just put Murder Made My Famous and the Bundy one comes up.

13. Fiz says:

Thank you so much, Shelley! I am off to hospital for urgent allergy treatment but I will be sure to watch it this weekend.

14. Shelley says:

You’re welcome, Fiz. Hope you enjoy it and the hospital fixes you up. :-)

My favourite line in the whole video was when Keppel said “He lies, you know”. I literally laughed out loud.

15. Shelley says:

I actually like Bob Keppel. When he delivered that line in the video, it was one of the few times I have seen him display a sense of humour – maybe the only time. I think he is quite serious normally. Just the impression I get. I wonder if the popularity of Ann Rule’s “The Stranger Beside Me” contributed to the Washington part of the tale having such a high profile and, therefore, Keppel. It could also be he is one of the few available or interested in participating in documentaries. I don’t know.

16. gary miller says:

Hello Mr. Sullivan,
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my previous questions. I wasc wondering if you have ever encounter this character, “Miles Mathis, who posits the Bundy murders were faked:

He offers no evidence in the short essay posted above, yet he has gained some currency. Any thoughts?.
    Thank you.

17. Kevin M Sullivan says:

Hi Gary,

Well, this is the first time I’ve heard of this person, but my first thought after reading his piece was “is this a joke?”

If the guy is really being serious than I feel sorry for him. It’s absolutely the strangest thing I’ve read in a very long time. It’s absolute foolishness. I wish I could say something positive about it but I can’t. There’s just nothing there.

See ya!

18. KYGB says:

I’ve taken shots at Bob K, mainly based on his propensity for blowing his own horn at top volume. He did some good work in the case, but claims far more credit than his record deserves.

Miles Mathis is a stone nut job, mainly an example of the internet generation of people who make outlandish, crazy claims that are absolutely insane. Among his many claims are that PI ( the mathematical calculation) is actually 4.0, not 3.1416. He also claims that the Manson murders were totally faked by the government and the people convicted are actors placed in the roles to fake out the public.

This boy is 100% nuts and not to be taken seriously.

19. Jason Nelson says:

Hi Kevin

Hope all is well with you. I have a question about your upcoming companion book to the Bundy Murders. What will the book add to the overall Bundy story that has not been touched upon thus far? I was curious as you mentioned that there is not much information left to uncover on Bundy as most if not all of it has been made public so just wanted to know how the companion book will add to the saga. Will it focus on the victims and families? Or will there be more information on Bundy himself?

Hi Jason,

It’s so good to hear from you, Jason!

Good question about the upcoming book, btw.

First, it will not be a new bio of Ted Bundy. My book, THE BUNDY MURDERS, is, as you know, an in-depth biography of the killer, and I’m happy with how it turned out, and exceedingly pleased with how well it has been and continues to be received by the public.

Why the new book? Well, I wanted to tie up some loose ends, and add some voices to the story that haven’t been heard before, or haven’t been heard adequately. Those voices will be in my new book, with much new general but important information.

Without going into detail, I answer many questions in this book that even I had during my research the first time around the Bundy case. And thankfully, through diligent work, I found (and am finding) those answers.

There will be new voices from those who knew Bundy, from those who were witnesses to the crimes, and from others involved one way or another with the case.

I also visited the sites in Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Washington State and Oregon, in July, and there will be interesting commentary about these sites blending what we already know about the case, with additions concerning those things that are part of the new information I’ve uncovered.

From the first page until the last, I know it will be a book greatly enjoyed by those desiring to know all there is to know about the Bundy case. As a Historian, I’m very glad to be bringing it to light, as folks don’t live forever, and what we gather we must gather now. Knowing I’m doing this gives me a great sense of joy.

I wish I could say more, but I can’t. I will tell you I’m very excited at how it’s all going, and it has sparked that same excited feeling I had prior to publication to my first book on the case.

I hope this answers your questions.

“I had prior to publication to”

Well, let’s make that “…prior to publication of…” lol!

1. gary miller says:

Hello Mr. Sullivan,
      I just finished your book over the past weekend and it was great! I found the material on Colorado and Utah especially good. You book is a must for any aficionado of this enigmatic case. I am delighted to learn you are coming out with another.

David McGowan in his book Programmed to Kill, on p. 164 writes
      ” According to some accounts, Ted Bundy’s mother was an abusive young prostitute as well, who also plied her trade in the presence of her young son.”

McGowan does not give his source for this assertion. Would you happen to know if this is true? Thany you.

Hi Gary (you can call me Kevin)

No, that’s not true. I would say it’s a wild allegation, but it’s way beyond that. Louise’s life is well accounted for, and if there would be any evidence of this it would have been validated long ago. Funny he says “According to some accounts”. He should name them.

Thanks for the good words about my book. I really appreciate them. And I do think you’ll like the new one.

Thanks again!

2. gary miller says:

Hello Mr. Sullivan,

David McGowan in his book Programmed to Kill, on p. 164 writes

McGowan does not give his source for this assertion. Would you happen to know if this is true? Thank you.

Btw: If you haven’t already done so, could you leave a review of my book on Amazon? Every good review helps. Thanks!

I don’t know what has happened, but I just left a response to your above question. Then, I asked about the review. But it looks like my first response did not post.. I’m going to give it a little while and if it doesn’t post I’ll post again. Thanks!

Oh my. It’s above your post, lol!

23. jane says:

Hayward was the crucially important arresting officer, I remember reading that he contacted his brother, a superior officer, about the case and either showed up at the weekly police meeting or gave the info to his brother before the meeting, at which time the Bundy discussion took off. Surely he had a hinky feeling about this arrest. He also had Bundy fingerprinted twice – instead of the usual once – to make sure he didn’t smudge the prints. He also said TB was heading into the house where he was parked where there were 2 sisters – I always assumed TB was trolling that night but he seemed to think he’d found his victim(s) for that night.

Re Keppler: he always called TB his nemesis. That part I believe but I don’t think HE was TB’s nemesis. While he had a part, I think Ken Katsaris was more of TB’s nemesis, among several others. Actually, Carol da Ronch was his nemesis – her shyness and uncertaintly aside, she started a very big ball rolling. There’s an old quote that I paraphrase: The devil talks with a silver and bold tongue while the knees of the angels tremble. She was a quiet but powerful storm in the careet of Bundy.

Washington disappointed me – although they had a big unknown in front of them, it’s true but:. Why they didn’t shake more things upside down once they were on to Bundy, I can’t figure. Why not search his room, the jewely of his girlfirend, mothers, sisters, etc. Why not search the family cabin? The family denied permission? Go get a search warrant or at least try. It’s 20/20 hindsight, I know, but I’ve never read they even tried to do these basic things.

1. Kevin M Sullivan says:

Hey Jane. Detective Ondrak came on the scene soon after Hayward stopped him. Hayward made his reports but it was Ondrak who informed the other detectives-including Jerry Thompson-at the investigators meeting. And you’re correct, Bundy’s defense team did fear Louis Smith might shoot their client, and forced him to show he was unarmed each time he entered the court room

24. jane says:

One more thing: Why does a purportedly law-abiding, church-going, God-fearing family deny permission to the police to search their cabin in a multiple murder investigation??????

This isn’t an inner-city, police-distrusting family. They presented themselves as patriotic,moral, apple-pie Americans – the stepfather worked for the armed service all his life (Army cook?) Why would people like that refuse cooperation with the police? Hmmmmmm.

Hey Jane,

First, the authorities had no evidence against Bundy in Washington State. As such, no search warrant would ever be issued by a judge. As to his family, they believed he was innocent. So no, they wouldn’t have allowed a search. :)

25. KYGB says:

You are right Jan. Bob Hayward did a great job in apprehending Bundy in Salt Lake and starting the legal process on that very dangerous boy. Hal posted the video interview by Hayward. For some reason, the link was dead.

Try this one if people are interested:

There are some great tidbits in this interview. Hayward was just finishing his shift and doing paperwork in front of his residence. A call came over his radio that another officer broke up a drinking party and people were fleeing the scene in cars and motorcycles. Just then, 3 vehicles sped past his car (an undercover car, not a police cruiser). The first car was a VW. Hayward took off to the scene of the party. On the way to the teen party, he mistakenly took a wrong turn. He pulled over to turn around when he came back up on the VW. Hayward hit the car with his spotlight and Bundy took off. After a pursuit, Bundy stopped in a gas station. Ted walked towards Bob’s car. Hayward pulled his .357 and pointed it in Ted’s face. Hayward started interrogating and Bundy started lying.

Watch it, it’s a cool vid.

26. jane says:

Yes KYGB, I’ve seen it. It’s excellent and thanks for posting it again. Another thing he mentioned in that video is that Melissa Smith’s father Lous Smith accidentally saw his daughter’s crime scene photos when they were left out accidentally on someone’s desk. He was close to Bundy at some point and Hayward thought Mr. Smith was going to shoot him. That poor man, how agonizing that must have been. So many lives that dirtbag affected! BTW I posted something else but it didn’t come out here – I’ll give it some time before I repost my thoughts..

27. jane says:

There’s a new show on Reelz channel called “Behind The Screams.” The premise is movies/books based on real-life cases. Last night’s episode was “Handsome Devil” based on Bundy as being the inspiration for the book/movie “The Silence of the Lambs.” Author Thomas Harris attended the Chi O trial and initally had a character called “The Tooth Fairy” (the Levy bite marks) who originally appeared in the book “Red Dragon(?).” Later on when writing “Silence…” he based the killer on Bundy who lures a girl into a van with a cast on his arm.

If anyone remembers the movie/book, Hannibal Lecter advises the FBI agent that the first kill was someone the killer “covets” – someone he knew and was close in physical proximity to. Translated to real life, that would be Ann Marie Burr. Whether Harris knew these early details about Bundy’s life, I don’t know. That book was a psychological thriller masterpiece IMHO.