1903: Arthur Alfred Lynch condemned 1795: Unspecified Robespierrists

1989: Ted Bundy, psycho killer

January 24th, 2009 Headsman

Qu’est-ce que c’est?

It was 20 years today that Ted Bundy, the signature sexual psychopath in a golden age of serial killers,* rode the lightning in Florida’s Starke Prison.

Executed Today is pleased to mark the occasion with a conversation with Louisville crime writer Kevin M. Sullivan, author of a forthcoming2009 book on Ted Bundy … and a man who knows how the world looks from inside Bundy’s ski mask.

Ted Bundy is obviously one of the most iconic, written-about serial killers in history. Why a book about Ted Bundy? What’s the untold story that you set out to uncover?

The desire, or drive, if you will, to write an article about Ted Bundy and then create a 120,000 plus word book about the murders, was born out of my crossing paths with his infamous murder kit. Had Jerry Thompson [a key detective on the Bundy case -ed.] left Bundy’s stuff in Utah that May of 2005, well, it would have been an enjoyable meeting with the former detective, but I’m certain it would have all ended quietly there. Indeed, I doubt if I’d even considered writing an article for Snitch [a now-defunct crime magazine -ed.], much less a book about the killings. But it was having all that stuff in my hands, and in my home, and then being given one of the Glad bags from Ted’s VW that made it very real (or surreal) to me, and from this, a hunger to find out more about the crimes led me forward.

Ted Bundy’s gear, right where you want it — image courtesy of Kevin M. Sullivan. (Check the 1975 police photo for confirmation.)

Believe me, in a thousand years, I never would have expected such a thing to ever come my way. I can’t think of anything more odd or surreal.

ET: You mentioned that you think you’ve been able to answer some longstanding questions about Bundy’s career. Can you give us some hints? What don’t people know about Ted Bundy that they ought to know?

I must admit, when I first decided to write a book about the crimes, I wasn’t sure what I’d find, so the first thing I had to do was read every book ever written about Bundy, which took the better portion of three or four months.

From this I took a trip to Utah to again meet with Thompson and check out the sites pertaining to Bundy and the murders in that state. Next came the acquisition of case files from the various states and the tracking down of those detectives who participated in the hunt for the elusive killer.

Now, no one could have been more surprised than me to begin discovering what I was discovering about some of these murders. But as I kept hunting down the right people and the right documents, I was able to confirm these “finds” at every turn. And while I cannot reveal everything here, It’s all in the book in great detail. Indeed, you could say that my book is not a biography in the truest sense, but rather an in-depth look at Bundy and the murders from a vantage point that is quite unique. I wish I could delve further into these things now , but I must wait until it’s published.

The Bundy story has a magnetic villain and a host of victims … was there a hero? Was there a lesson?

The real heroes in this story are the detectives who worked day and night for years to bring Ted Bundy to justice. And if there’s a lesson to be learned from all of this, it is this: It doesn’t matter how handsome or articulate a person might be, or how nicely they smile at you, for behind it all, there could reside the most diabolical person you’ll ever meet! We need to remember this.

But how can you act on that lesson without living in a continual state of terror? Bundy strikes me as so far outside our normal experience, even the normal experience of criminality, that I’m inclined to wonder how much can be generalized from him.

Actually, (and I might say, thank God here!) people as “successful” as Ted Bundy don’t come our way very often. I mean, the guy was a rising star in the Republican Party in Washington, had influential friends, a law student, and certainly appeared to be going places in life. Some were even quite envious of his ascension in life. However, it was all a well-placed mask that he wore to cover his true feelings and intentions. On the outside he was perfect, but on the inside a monster. He just didn’t fit the mold we’re used to when we think of a terrible killer, does he?

Now, there are those among us — sociopaths — who can kill or do all manner of terrible things in life and maintain the nicest smile upon their faces, but again, just beneath the surface ticks the heart of a monster, or predator, or what ever you might want to call them. Having said that, I’m not a suspicious person by nature, and so I personally judge people by their outward appearance until shown otherwise. Still, it’s difficult (if not impossible) to see the “real” individual behind the person they present to us on a daily basis.

You worked with case detectives in researching your book. How did the Ted Bundy case affect the way law enforcement has subsequently investigated serial killers? If they had it to do over again, what’s the thing you think they’d have done differently?

They all agree that today, DNA would play a part of the investigation that wasn’t available then. However, in the early portion of the murders, Bundy made few if any mistakes, as he had done his homework so as to avoid detection. As such, even this wouldn’t be a panacea when it came to a very mobile killer like Bundy who understood the very real limitations sometimes surrounding homicide investigations.

I can’t help but ask about these detectives as human beings, too. Clearly they’re in a position to deal with the heart of darkness in the human soul day in and day out and still lead normal lives … is a Ted Bundy the kind of killer that haunts or scars investigators years later, or is this something most can set aside as all in a day’s work?

They are, first of all, very nice people. And you can’t be around them (either in person, or through numerous phone calls or emails) for very long before you understand how dedicated they are (or were) in their careers as police officers. They are honorable people, with a clear sense of duty, and without such people, we, as a society, would be in dire circumstances indeed.

Even before Bundy came along, these men were veteran investigators who had seen many bad things in life, so they carried a toughness which allowed them to deal with the situations they came up against in a professional manner. That said, I remember Jerry Thompson telling me how he looked at Ted one day and thought how much he reminded him of a monster, or a vampire of sorts. And my book contains a number of exchanges between the two men (including a chilling telephone call) which demonstrate why he felt this way

How about for you, as a writer — was there a frightening, creepy, traumatic moment in your research that really shook you? Was there an emotional toll for you?

Absolutely. But the degree of “shock”, if you will, depends (at least for me) on what I know as I first delve into each murder. In the Bundy cases I had a general knowledge of how Bundy killed, so there wasn’t a great deal that caught me by surprise, as it were. Even so, as a writer, you tend to get to know the victims very well through the case files, their family members or friends, and so on. Hence, I’ll continue to carry with me many of the details of their lives and deaths for the remainder of my life. And so, lasting changes are a part of what we do.

However, I did a story a few years back about a 16 year old girl who was horribly murdered here in Kentucky, and this case did cause me to wake up in the night in a cold sweat. Perhaps it was because I have a daughter that was, at the time, only a few years younger than this girl, and that some of what transpired did catch me off guard, so to speak, as I began uncovering just what had happened to this very nice kid.

Watch for Kevin M. Sullivan’s forthcoming The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History from McFarland in summer or fall of 2009.

* In fact, the term “serial killer” was coined in the 1970’s by FBI profiler Robert Ressler, as an improvement on the sometimes inaccurate category of “stranger killer”.

Additional Bundy resources from the enormous comment thread:

Entry Filed under: 20th Century,Capital Punishment,Common Criminals,Crime,Death Penalty,Electrocuted,Execution,Florida,History,Infamous,Murder,Popular Culture,Serial Killers,Sex,USA

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

8,544 thoughts on “1989: Ted Bundy, psycho killer”

Hi Diana,

You’ll need to consult my book or other Bundy books for all of these answers. I’m so busy I just don’t have time to get these exact answers for you. But if you read those portions of my book it will have it all!

See ya…

2. Diana says:

Thanks for posting those excerpts from the book Kevin. I should have just grabbed your book from my shelf and looked but I figured some of you guys would know the answer automatically.

So, the full skeletons (minus the heads) of Ott and Naslund (along with Hawkins) were found in that area? And there was only 1 head there, which was that of Naslund?

Hawkins head was buried further into the woods on a rocky hillside (according to Bundy) and Ott’s head was found with the others at Taylor Mountain?

Was the spot that those skeltons were found most likely the spot where he killed those girls?

Why Bundy buried some and left others out in the open is unknown. I don’t think he ever clarified why to anyone, although he did say that he expected the ” little critters” of the woods to deal with them, and that was often the case – to a degree.

From my book:

“Five days after he left for Utah, the bodies of Denise Naslund and Janice Ott were discovered lying on a hillside just east of Issaquah, not more than ten miles southeast of Lake Sammamish State Park. Found with them was a third set of bones that would remain unidentified for many years. The discovery was made by a hunter walking up what was at one time a logging road, which connects to an older paved road angling off of 1-90. This connecting roadway is known to the locals as the old Sunset Highway. The entire area is ideal for disposing of bodies, as it offers seclusion at every turn. Not only is Interstate 90 flanked by woods on both sides, but the older highway is encased in trees as well. Anyone seeking privacy would have no trouble operating in this environment after dark, and had the remains not been placed so close to this road, they might have gone undiscovered for years, and possibly forever.

Elzie Hammons was a thirty-six-year-old construction worker by trade, and a grouse hunter by habit. He and a neighbor, seventy-one-year-old Elza E. Rankin, had returned to this spot after having bagged two birds in this same location during the previous year’s hunt. “I was just walking through the brush on a grown-over road-years ago there had been an old logging road there,” Hammons told a reporter for The Seattle Times. “The skeleton was right there on the ground.”4 The skull, detached and hairless, lay nearby.

Hurrying back to where Rankin had parked his jeep, Hammons found him engaged in a conversation with a couple of teenagers who had come to the area to do some target shooting. When Hammons blurted out what he’d found, one of the boys, nineteen-year-old Jeffery Hartfield, let out a chuckle and assured him it was only an animal. Inviting them to come and see for themselves, Hammons began retracing his steps. Within moments they spotted something that Hammons had originally missed. “We found the clump of long black hair. It looked fresh and shiny … about two feet long.”‘ Suddenly, no one was laughing anymore. The hair belonged to Denise Naslund. ”

The “dear carcass” had to do with a worker who’d stopped his truck nearby to eat lunch, smelled the stench of rotting flesh, and got out of his truck to take a look. He didn’t go all the way up to the body as he believed it must be a rotting deer.

4. Diana says:

Any theories on why he left Georgeann, Denise, and Janice’s bodies out in the open…while he likely buried the others?

I’m trying to remember… were the heads on Denise and Janice found near the bodies at the Issaquah disposal site??? I remember seeing a photo of one of their skulls in the woods. Didn’t a hunter find the skeleton of one of the girls and thought it was a deer carcass at first?

5. Jutta says:

Good question about the predators — they did find gnaw marks on some of his victims’ remains and black bears are regularly seen on today’s “rails to trails” paths (which used to be the old railway line, close to where he dumped Georgann, Janice, and Denise).

I doubt carnivorous mammals crossed Ted’s mind. For all his supposed hiking, it seems to me he was only superficially outdoorsy. Floating down the river on a raft is pretty tame. I don’t think he ever did any serious backcountry hiking, primitive camping (except after his Aspen escape), or animal hunting.

Plus he was irrational and loved danger, so even if he was thinking about the possibility of encountering a bear and mountain lion, it probably just gave him an extra thrill.

So true, Mario.

Good to hear from you.

7. Mario says:

Also there aren’t a lot of predators in the areas he would have been. People go for hikes all the time around the Issaquah area. It’s not the type of place you need to worry about bobcats or bears or anything. Any animal you see in those areas isn’t really going to bother you.

However, that being said, at the very least you know he always had a crowbar with him. Hard to get better protection than that.

Bundy never went very far off a roadway when he dumped the bodies. Taylor Mt, Issaquah, Julie Cunningham, Melissa Smith, Laura Aime, etc. He was never far from his car. And not all locations were considered remote.

I don’t think man-eating predators were an issue in these areas and Ted knew this.

9. Diana says:

Thanks for all the info on the rain out there Mario. Greatly appreciated! 🙂

Aside from the rain, I have another question about Bundy’s forrays out into the wilderness. Was he really not concerned with wildlife out there?? He knew wildlife was rampant out there as he had seen what it did to the bodies he left above ground. He must have had something with him that he knew he could use if big predators came his way while he was playing with corpses. I mean, let’s face it, most people wouldn’t go out into a highly remote area in the middle of the night without some sort of “weapon” just incase. And yes, I know Ted Bundy wasn’t “most people” But he certainly would have brought something to save his skin in case of animal attack.

10. Peter Henderson says:

About Rita Lorraine Jolly

investigators state that at about 7:15 pm on Friday June 29, 1973, Rita left her residence on Horton Road to take a walk. She was last seen in the West Linn area sometime between 8:30 and 9.00 pm that evening walking uphill on Sunset Avenue. It is possible she was spotted in the Robinwood area a short time later. She has not been seen or heard from since.

“People usually don’t just disappear and have no contact,” Clackamas County Sheriff’s Detective D. Calhoun, who believes Rita was murdered, told the Oregonian in 2008.

According to Detective Calhoun five possible suspects have been identified in Rita’s case, including the notorious serial killer Ted Bundy.

In 2009 investigators compared Rita’s DNA against a skull discovered on August 2, 1986 in the Mount Hood National Forest, near the small community of Government Camp,
    Oregon but she was ruled out.

At the time Calhoun also stated that detectives wanted to compare Rita’s DNA with that of a unidentified woman whose body was found during the early 1970s in Vancouver, Washington lying next to Carol Louise Valenzuela, 18, who at one time was believed to be one of Ted Bundy’s victims. This location was close to where Jamie Rachael Grissim, 16, Fort Vancouver High School ID card was found but DNA ruled Jamie out

Investigators no longer believe that Bundy was responsible for these murders. Their case’s remain unsolved and investigators now believe they may have been the victim‘s of suspected serial killer Warren Leslie Forrest. (Another hitchhiker serial killer active in Washington during the 70’s. I say suspected because he was only convicted of one murder but is a suspect in 9 others.)

Peter

Thanks, guys.

12. jrj says:

French Bundy Documentary with lots of footage I haven’t seen before -especially of trial (i.e. marriage to Boone etc.) -too bad about French dubbing.

13. John says:

I this a list of ppl I think Ted Bundy may have been responsible;

1961, I’m pretty sure he killed Ann Marie Burr – What are the odds? He very well knew her and acquainted her. My friend theorizes that he killed her because he got jealous that Ann Marie was always at his uncles house and that he may have had help disposing of her. He even confessed to this In 1987!

1966, Lonnie Trumbull – Bundy worked at a store a mile away that Trumbull and her roommates would frequent. The crime Is reminiscent with one In 1978. The roommates believes Bundy was the one who attacked her.

1969, Elizabeth Perry and Susan Davis – Idk why they are not listed as official victims? He also confessed to this! Just cause he didn’t name them.

1971, Rita Curran – I’m not too sure about this one. Lemme guess? Bundy traveled to Vermont and crossed passed with her and the next thing you know she wines up dead. Bundy had tried earlier and got bite by a dog.

1971, Joyce LePage – some Investigators believe that she was a victim, but Bundy denied It.

1972, Kerry May Hardy – Didn’t Bundy hint at a murder In Seattle In June of 1972?? She was found buried approximately five miles from were the skulls of the women were to be found three years later.

1973, Rita Jolly – fits the profile. Bundy confessed to killing two women In Oregon. Who are they?

These are facts with opinions. I’ve researched Bundy myself online.

John,

I have nothing on her, but again, it’s something we’ll never know for sure. He very well may have killed her, as I’m convinced he committed a few murders prior to his launch into full-time murder in January 1974.

If you’ve never heard this, here’s a podcast I did on Ted Bundy awhile back.

Take care,

Kevin

15. Kevin M Sullivan says:

Hi John,

Let me check my book when I return home. It is interesting how Bundy would freely admit by name to some killings and others he refused to talk about.

16. John says:

I read In Wiki that Bundy confessed to killing two women In Oregon without Identifying the victims. They suspect they are Vicki Hollar and Rita Jolly, but never had a chance to ask.

I don’t think think Vicki Is a victim. But she did own a black bug which makes me think did Bundy? If he did bury her and costumized her car? The car he may be driving May have been hers. But I doubt It.

I think Rita definitely a victim. She looks like Georgeann Hawkins and Debra Kent. He was In Seattle buying gas the day of her disappearance according to the FBI report. That means he got gas to go to Oregon?

Do you have anything on her on your book Kevin?

17. Kevin M Sullivan says:

Or Bundy. On my phone!

18. Kevin M Sullivan says:

Jolly is a suspected victim but that’s all. No proof exists, and we must remember that other killers were out there operating when Nundy was committing murder.

19. Anonymous says:

Is Rita Jolly a Bundy victim? I wish knew more about her.

My hometown, Louisville, KY, receives more rain annually than Seattle. You’re correct, they “play up” the rain aspect in the movies and TV.

It’s much drier east of the Cascade Mountains, where Susan Rancourt went missing from CWSC.

21. Mario says:

There isn’t a lot of data on rainfall in Seattle from 1974 out there, but The Farmers Almanac website says there was 0.0 precipitation the dates of May 31st (the Brenda Ball disappearance). June 10th (Georgeann Hawkins) and July 14th (Lake Sammamish).

There would have likely been at least some rain around during the January attack on Lynda Healy, Seattle is always kind of snowy or slushy the first few weeks after the New Year. But again, “some rain” to a Northwesterner usually won’t even phase them. I doubt it was a downpour that day or anything.

With Donna Manson in Olympia on March 12 I can’t find any data on the weather site, but Olympia in March is generally pretty wet. Although the Evergreen State Campus is notorious for just being a little enclave in a grove surrounded by trees so even if it was raining, it’s not the type of place that would get all that wet in general.

Susan Rancourt on April 17th was in Ellensburg, which is a good deal away from Seattle out in Central Washington. Totally different weather patterns there, I doubt it had any significant rain that day. And again, where he was taking her was completely isolated out in the woods and surrounded by forest. April rain in Seattle wouldn’t be much of a problem there.

That’s really the last Seattle one. I can’t find any weather data for the day Roberta Parks disappeared in Portland on May 6th, but I know that Lorraine Fargo talked about that day here in the thread and I don’t remember her saying it was raining significantly or anything.

Hope this helps. 🙂

22. Mario says:

Seattle is nowhere near as rainy as most outsiders think it is. For the most part yes there are a lot of gray overcast days but in terms of downpours or significant rain, it rains much harder in places like Chicago or Detroit or New York. With Seattle you are more likely to get a light drizzle than you are anything else. It tends not to have very extreme weather in any one direction. The gray skies are the part that makes it feel like it rains so much there.

Also, the places where Ted took the bodies might not have been especially wet. Even if it was raining (which again, in the area is rarely a downpour), he was under the cover of deep woods a lot of the time. And when you have that thick of a tree cover sometimes the rain doesn’t even reach the ground. So even if it had been an especially rainy season that year (which I am guessing it wasn’t), the places he was taking the bodies were probably pretty well insulated against the elements. Some of the woods in the Pacific Northwest are so remote that you might as well be on a different planet. They are just completely serene and protected and isolated.

I’m going to go look up the Seattle weather around the dates of the murders but I doubt the weather would have ever affected him much. If you grow up in Seattle you don’t even notice if it is wet out half of the time. It just becomes a part of your day. And there is no way it was rainy around the time of the Lake Sammamish murders, the fourth of July is always especially beautiful around the Seattle area.

23. Diana says:

One question I always meant to ask and was reminded that I needed to ask it after watching an episode of THE KILLING on Netflix…
    Was there a lot of rain in Washington during the big 1974 killing spree of Ted?
    Movies based in Seattle always play up the rain aspect. How true is this? I have read that it isn’t really as rainy as “tv and cinema” make it out to be.
    With that beig said, does anyone know what it was like in ’74 when Bundy did the Washington murders? Was there a lot of rain? Isn’t it more likely he did most of these kills when it wasn’t rainy so he could play with the bodies outside without getting wet?

24. Peter Henderson says:

Ted is not the Santa Rosa hitchhiker killer and had nothing to do with the April 25, 1972
    disappearance of Jeannette Kamahele, 20, who is a suspected Santa Rosa victim. Nor did he have anything to due with any of the Santa Rosa hitchhiker murders

There is nothing connecting him to Donna Lass, 25, who vanished from South Lake Tahoe, California on September 6, 1970. However this has not stopped countless missing women from being mentioned as possible Bundy victims.

If you read archived news reports Ted is suspected of killed every other teen/young woman west of the Mississippi who had the misfortune of going missing in the ‘70’s. If he didn’t do it the clearly the Zodiac did. (sarcasm intended)

There was a unidentified Santa Rosa hitchhiker serial killer active in 1972 -73, but he is not Ted Bundy

The article says they went missing on July 4, 1974. It also says Bundy was incarcerated in Colorado at the time, but this is not true. Bundy’s first arrest in Salt lake City, Utah didn’t occur until August of 1975, and he wouldn’t be on trial in Colorado until much later.

At the end, Bundy did admit to killing one in CA but I don’t think he provided a name. I don’t think he ever mentioned killing in Nevada.

“Also who did Ted claim he killed In Seattle In 1971?”
    I don’t know. Perhaps a hitchhiker.

I’ll check out the link.

Thanks.

27. Anonymouss says:

Who did Ted kill In California? I’ve heard of those crimes In Stanford Campus and Santa Rosa. I wonder If Donna Lass Is a victim. Her case Is reminiscent with Caryn Campbell’s. She disappeared from Stateline, Nevada In 1970.

Here’s the article that mentions a ruled out victim from Wyoming. Though Bundy was In Washington, not Colorado at the time.

Also who did Ted claim he killed In Seattle In 1971?

One woman, actually.

I hear ya.

What folks need to remember, is that even when Bundy was killing, others were out there doing the same thing.

As for CA, Bundy did admit to murdering one women there.

30. Anonymous says:

Around the time that Deborah disappeared three other girls ages 10 through 19 also went missing. Deborah and a Carlene Brown were never found. Royal Russell Long Is a better suspect than Bundy In those cases since he lived In the area. I guess Bundy Is just a possibility. It reminds me of the unsolved crimes In California that they tried to link to Bundy.

A…

There’s nothing in my book for that exact time, but I checked the FBI Multiagency Report, and it shows Bundy getting gas in Olympia, WA on August 4th, and didn’t buy gas again (using his credit card) until the 7th, also in Olympia.

It’s a 16 hour drive (approximately) from Olympia to Rawlins. So if Bundy drove there, it would be required that he’d be gone for a couple of days, or close to that time, and we just don’t know the answer to this. Is it possible? Maybe. But I would bet that “out there” somewhere within the record, there’s info pertaining to this time period that we don’t know about – like his attendance at the DES for that time.

So who knows…

Hello A,

A very intriguing thought. I’m not sure it was possible for him to do that, but let me check a timeline from my book and I’ll get back with you.

Kevin

33. Anonymous says:

Kevin do you think that Bundy Is a suspect In the disappearance of 15 year old Deborah Rae Meyer from Rawlins, Wyoming? She disappeared on August 4, 1974, exactly forty years ago today.

I contacted the publisher and it will be fixed soon.

Thanks, Meaghan!

Kevin

Meaghan,

Okay, the book is okay. Yes, it’s in the description on Amazon. We’ll fix that.

Thanks!

Oh my, does it say Sarah? Because it is Heather.

I’ll check and let the publisher know. The print edition is not yet out and the the eBook can be fixed. The audio book is something else altogether.

Is it only in one spot?

37. Meaghan says:

Kevin, in the description of your new book you mention a Sarah Teague abducted off a beach. Shouldn’t that be HEATHER Teague? She’s on my website.

Thanks, BB.

39. Tony says:

Carole looks a little bit like the actress Allison Janney.

40. BB says:

I just came accross this photo today of Bundy, Boone and their daughter. Ive never seen this one before. I recall in the past that there had been doubt cast on whether the child was his but seeing this photo there is no doubt. She bears a striking resemblance not only to Ted but to his own mother oto.

My newest book (with co-author, Gregg Olsen), is a trilogy of bizarre and shocking murders from the states of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Kentucky.

Here’s a link to the eBook…

42. Peter Henderson says:

Hi Tony,

Most serial killer victims, (I believe the US Justice Department estimates around 70%) are women,
    sometimes men, who live a high risk lifestyle. We rarely hear anything about them till their bodies start turning up like so much discarded cord wood.

The majority are very young. They feel that they are street wise, worldly, and tuff but in realty are poorly educated teens/young adults who are naive and overly trusting.

In the state of Washington, according to a series of articles about the Green River killings done by the Seattle Times, this problem was compounded by late 70’s changes in the law

The law — known as the Juvenile Justice Reform Act of 1977 — gave the responsibility to the courts, the Department of Social and Health Services and the police. Since the law gave juveniles much the same rights as adults, the police could no longer do much to either keep them off the streets or in custody. The Seattle Police and King County Sheriff’s Department, feeling it was a losing battle, didn’t even try.

“They become non-persons,” said Debra Boyer, a researcher who had spent the ’70’s and 80’s working with prostitutes and prostitution issues in the Seattle area.. The end result – streets filled with potential victim’s – a killing ground constantly replenished with new prey. .

The law has probably been amended by now, but sadly young girls with similar backgrounds are vanishing from the same streets today; over a decade after Gary Ridgway confessed to killing 50 to 80 of them. It doubtfully the current missing girls even know his name. Most were in kindergarten when he was arrested.

And that’s just one city, one county. Washington and Oregon are large states connected by a number of interstates with miles of wilderness acres to dispose of bodies. Perfect hunting ground for serial killers.

43. Jutta says:

Very pretty girl, Rhonda Burse. Wonder if she was an early victim of the Green River killer? Burien is next to Sea-Tac where he lived during his murder spree.

BTW, here’s a list of serial killers with Washington ties. It just goes on and on and on:

44. Tony says:

Well, as many on here have pointed out, the Pacific Northwest seems to have been a hotbed of serial killer activity during the 70’s (probably just owing to the fact that the media — and law enforcement — in the region became more sensitive to signs of such activity after a few high-profile cases came to light there). Add to that the fact that, if you’re a predatory guy looking for vulnerable women to prey upon, a popular nightspot where people are drinking is probably not the worst place to start, and well…

Hi Meaghan,

I think The Flame had a bit of the unsavory to it, lol!

46. Meaghan says:

Hi, I thought I’d pop in. Someone pointed out to me that the Flame, the nightclub Brenda Ball disappeared from, seems to be unlucky: another young woman vanished from it in 1977. Her name was Rhonda Burse: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/burse_rhonda.html

She was definitely not a Bundy victim as he was in jail at the time, but that is very strange all the same.

47. Kevin M Sullivan says:

These are Kentucky murder cases. 🙂

48. Jutta says:

“Death of a Cheerleader?” — oh no not ANOTHER Bundy book? lol

49. In post 7090 page I asked “If Bundy didn’t willingly have them [his personal possessions] sent to me, how can one explain these objects being in my possession?”

No one has offered an explanation.

Since, at the time, I was someone Lewis barely knew and who had no idea who Ted Bundy was, if Lewis had received these objects by any other means he would have kept them for his own use. They had nothing to do with what was going on with me at the time. He would have no reason to give them to me.

The only plausible circumstance under which Lewis would give them to me is if Bundy directed him to do so. In that case Lewis would be unable to keep them even if he wanted to because Bundy would be expecting an acknowledgment of their receipt from me.

These objects were part and parcel of our communication and serve to prove that that communication existed.

I’m giving away 25 audio books of my newest book, Death of a Cheerleader (written with Gregg Olsen), to the first 25 people who contact me at the email address below:

kevin_sullivan31@yahoo.com

And readers, all I ask is that you please leave an honest review of the book. Good reviews help a great deal, so if you like the book, please leave a review. Thanks!

Comments are closed.