1903: Arthur Alfred Lynch condemned 1795: Unspecified Robespierrists

1989: Ted Bundy, psycho killer

January 24th, 2009 Headsman

Qu’est-ce que c’est?

It was 20 years today that Ted Bundy, the signature sexual psychopath in a golden age of serial killers,* rode the lightning in Florida’s Starke Prison.

Executed Today is pleased to mark the occasion with a conversation with Louisville crime writer Kevin M. Sullivan, author of a forthcoming2009 book on Ted Bundy … and a man who knows how the world looks from inside Bundy’s ski mask.

Ted Bundy is obviously one of the most iconic, written-about serial killers in history. Why a book about Ted Bundy? What’s the untold story that you set out to uncover?

The desire, or drive, if you will, to write an article about Ted Bundy and then create a 120,000 plus word book about the murders, was born out of my crossing paths with his infamous murder kit. Had Jerry Thompson [a key detective on the Bundy case -ed.] left Bundy’s stuff in Utah that May of 2005, well, it would have been an enjoyable meeting with the former detective, but I’m certain it would have all ended quietly there. Indeed, I doubt if I’d even considered writing an article for Snitch [a now-defunct crime magazine -ed.], much less a book about the killings. But it was having all that stuff in my hands, and in my home, and then being given one of the Glad bags from Ted’s VW that made it very real (or surreal) to me, and from this, a hunger to find out more about the crimes led me forward.

Ted Bundy’s gear, right where you want it — image courtesy of Kevin M. Sullivan. (Check the 1975 police photo for confirmation.)

Believe me, in a thousand years, I never would have expected such a thing to ever come my way. I can’t think of anything more odd or surreal.

ET: You mentioned that you think you’ve been able to answer some longstanding questions about Bundy’s career. Can you give us some hints? What don’t people know about Ted Bundy that they ought to know?

I must admit, when I first decided to write a book about the crimes, I wasn’t sure what I’d find, so the first thing I had to do was read every book ever written about Bundy, which took the better portion of three or four months.

From this I took a trip to Utah to again meet with Thompson and check out the sites pertaining to Bundy and the murders in that state. Next came the acquisition of case files from the various states and the tracking down of those detectives who participated in the hunt for the elusive killer.

Now, no one could have been more surprised than me to begin discovering what I was discovering about some of these murders. But as I kept hunting down the right people and the right documents, I was able to confirm these “finds” at every turn. And while I cannot reveal everything here, It’s all in the book in great detail. Indeed, you could say that my book is not a biography in the truest sense, but rather an in-depth look at Bundy and the murders from a vantage point that is quite unique. I wish I could delve further into these things now , but I must wait until it’s published.

The Bundy story has a magnetic villain and a host of victims … was there a hero? Was there a lesson?

The real heroes in this story are the detectives who worked day and night for years to bring Ted Bundy to justice. And if there’s a lesson to be learned from all of this, it is this: It doesn’t matter how handsome or articulate a person might be, or how nicely they smile at you, for behind it all, there could reside the most diabolical person you’ll ever meet! We need to remember this.

But how can you act on that lesson without living in a continual state of terror? Bundy strikes me as so far outside our normal experience, even the normal experience of criminality, that I’m inclined to wonder how much can be generalized from him.

Actually, (and I might say, thank God here!) people as “successful” as Ted Bundy don’t come our way very often. I mean, the guy was a rising star in the Republican Party in Washington, had influential friends, a law student, and certainly appeared to be going places in life. Some were even quite envious of his ascension in life. However, it was all a well-placed mask that he wore to cover his true feelings and intentions. On the outside he was perfect, but on the inside a monster. He just didn’t fit the mold we’re used to when we think of a terrible killer, does he?

Now, there are those among us — sociopaths — who can kill or do all manner of terrible things in life and maintain the nicest smile upon their faces, but again, just beneath the surface ticks the heart of a monster, or predator, or what ever you might want to call them. Having said that, I’m not a suspicious person by nature, and so I personally judge people by their outward appearance until shown otherwise. Still, it’s difficult (if not impossible) to see the “real” individual behind the person they present to us on a daily basis.

You worked with case detectives in researching your book. How did the Ted Bundy case affect the way law enforcement has subsequently investigated serial killers? If they had it to do over again, what’s the thing you think they’d have done differently?

They all agree that today, DNA would play a part of the investigation that wasn’t available then. However, in the early portion of the murders, Bundy made few if any mistakes, as he had done his homework so as to avoid detection. As such, even this wouldn’t be a panacea when it came to a very mobile killer like Bundy who understood the very real limitations sometimes surrounding homicide investigations.

I can’t help but ask about these detectives as human beings, too. Clearly they’re in a position to deal with the heart of darkness in the human soul day in and day out and still lead normal lives … is a Ted Bundy the kind of killer that haunts or scars investigators years later, or is this something most can set aside as all in a day’s work?

They are, first of all, very nice people. And you can’t be around them (either in person, or through numerous phone calls or emails) for very long before you understand how dedicated they are (or were) in their careers as police officers. They are honorable people, with a clear sense of duty, and without such people, we, as a society, would be in dire circumstances indeed.

Even before Bundy came along, these men were veteran investigators who had seen many bad things in life, so they carried a toughness which allowed them to deal with the situations they came up against in a professional manner. That said, I remember Jerry Thompson telling me how he looked at Ted one day and thought how much he reminded him of a monster, or a vampire of sorts. And my book contains a number of exchanges between the two men (including a chilling telephone call) which demonstrate why he felt this way

How about for you, as a writer — was there a frightening, creepy, traumatic moment in your research that really shook you? Was there an emotional toll for you?

Absolutely. But the degree of “shock”, if you will, depends (at least for me) on what I know as I first delve into each murder. In the Bundy cases I had a general knowledge of how Bundy killed, so there wasn’t a great deal that caught me by surprise, as it were. Even so, as a writer, you tend to get to know the victims very well through the case files, their family members or friends, and so on. Hence, I’ll continue to carry with me many of the details of their lives and deaths for the remainder of my life. And so, lasting changes are a part of what we do.

However, I did a story a few years back about a 16 year old girl who was horribly murdered here in Kentucky, and this case did cause me to wake up in the night in a cold sweat. Perhaps it was because I have a daughter that was, at the time, only a few years younger than this girl, and that some of what transpired did catch me off guard, so to speak, as I began uncovering just what had happened to this very nice kid.

Watch for Kevin M. Sullivan’s forthcoming The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History from McFarland in summer or fall of 2009.

* In fact, the term “serial killer” was coined in the 1970’s by FBI profiler Robert Ressler, as an improvement on the sometimes inaccurate category of “stranger killer”.

Additional Bundy resources from the enormous comment thread:

Entry Filed under: 20th Century,Capital Punishment,Common Criminals,Crime,Death Penalty,Electrocuted,Execution,Florida,History,Infamous,Murder,Popular Culture,Serial Killers,Sex,USA

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

8,544 thoughts on “1989: Ted Bundy, psycho killer”

1. Ted Montgomery says:

Some of you may recall that about three years or so, I posted some “eyewitness” accounts of folks who thought they had an encounter with Bundy during his predatory years. These were culled from thousands of pages of King County archived documents about the Bundy case. I believe Kevin accessed these while he was researching his book.

Around that time, I threw them in a box and took it to a storage unit I as then using. Last summer we moved, and
    I’ve been busy over the past few months going through the dozens of boxes of books and papers that I’ve had in storage for the past few years.

I recently ran across the Bundy files and they make for fascinating reading. A few random observations:

* It’s amazing how many people were “positive” that they saw “Ted” at the grocery store, in church, at the beach, in a bar or just driving down the street. These statements were mostly taken after the double murder at Lake Sammamish State Park in July, 1974. There was definitely public hysteria.

* Many more people gave statements to the task force investigators right after the Seattle Post-Intelligencer published the composite drawing of the suspect “Ted” (which to me didn’t resemble Bundy in the least).

* Many of the witnesses who did see Bundy at the lake that day described his hair as “blonde.” I don’t think any of us would consider Bundy a blonde. You can see what the police were up against. Based on these accounts, they worked for weeks sometimes on “suspects” who had nothing to do with the murders. Jilted girlfriends were turning in their boyfriends.
    Just about any man who drove a VW Beetle was a suspect, and anyone who sported a cast – legitimate or not – immediately raised eyebrows.

Soon I will post here a couple of eyewitness accounts taken from these files. Hopefully, this will spark a discussion about the legitimacy of the accounts. Stay tuned.

2. KYGB says:

I was checking something totally unrelated to Bundy and one of the links was the Florida State Prison site. It has some fairly interesting accounts of Ted’s last day at FSP…

The account has some pretty hairy accounts of prison riots which are interesting in a “Joe Friday” Dragnet kind of style.

3. Bob Roberts says:

Hi Kevin. I want to throw this theory out there. It is possible that Ted witnessed what happened to Ann Marie Burr, and this combined with his probable awful home life contributed to his later actions? Secondly, (this point may have already been made), if not for Bundy’s later notoriety, he would never have been a suspect in the case.

1. Hal says:

Bob, such an idea doesn’t withstand scrutiny. It comes loaded with the admission that the school-age Ted has already highly developed nocturnal interests (which surely must involve sexual violence against girls younger than himself), has a system of deception in place which is allowing him to leave the house for hours at night and also return undetected. That he will travel a great distance for God only knows what reason. And somehow witness an abduction/rape/murder at 4am. And do all that on a school night BUT NOT BE THE KILLER.

Only the ridiculously over the top TV version of Hannibal would run with that storyline.

Hi Bob,

Fist, Bundy didn’t have an awful home life. His mother loved him, and had he not goaded and taunted his adoptive father, they would have gotten along as well.

he had four siblings, and it appears from the record that all of the Bundy children got along well together. So there is that.

If Bundy was out that night and near the Burr home when she was abducted and killed, he is the one who did the deed. There just isn’t any way he was there to observe it.

Keep the questions coming, Bob! 🙂

Or: “to who WROTE the latest Bundy book…” lol!

Hello Breccia,

With all due respect, I don’t know what you’re talking about. As far as I know, you and I have never exchanged communication; and I certainly don’t know the woman you’re talking about (I never had anything to do with her, so i couldn’t have acted like I was dismissing her info).

I’m assuming the woman you’re referring to who write the latest Bundy book, would be the author of TED AND ANN? Well, my book was published in August 2009, and I never heard these stories until I read Rebecca Morris’ TED AND ANN.

Now, I really like Rebecca’s book, I do. It’s a book that needed to be written and it will have a very long literary life! That said, I’m somewhat skeptical of these stories about Bundy and a friend taking girls into the woods. Could it have happened? Sure. But there’s no way of knowing if it’s true. As far as I know, it is not in the official record. Anyway, true or not, i wouldn’t have added it to my book as there just isn’t any proof it happened. Noticed i said proof. That’s a big one with me.

As far as what i said on the podcast, did I mispronounce the town? God only knows, lol! But the name of the town is Henderson. That’s where the girl had been living, and the beach is close to it.

6. breccia freed says:

kevin, the town name ..in your last podcast wrt the girl seen via the telescope, the town’s name’s incorrect.

7. breccia freed says:

Kevin, it’s understand, you have little interest in T Bundy’s early life. It really doesn’t go with yer Off-Em and Better-For-It adgenda. sigh.
    years ago I told you an older close friend had things to say wrt Bundy. yea, she did, she refused the Lady who wrote a current bundy book. Kevin, you also, wanted little to do with what she could say.
    be that as it may.
    Basicly it’s this: Ted Bundy and another friend, at 12 yoa, tracked and chased neighborhood young girls. into the woods.repeatedly. The boys were on bikes. It’s graphic [details,refused by victims] the girls were flailed in a ditch. Later Bundy et al ruled the hood. Finally, Girl’s parent went to Bundy’s parent. Bundy Parent said it didn’t happen, Ted Bundy drug down, he said it didn’t happen. The Girl [chased, hunted by Bundy] was 10. This was before Anne Marie.
    So that’s that [cept tossing bitcoin to the Headman] I’ll take my leave. breccia freed

Hi all…

Did you know that if you’re not an audible member that you can join and get your first audio book free? Well, you can, and in this case we’re talking about my book, The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History. If you so desire, at the end of your month you can leave again, and still keep the book for free. Of course, there are so many great books there, you just might want to stay!
    Click on the audio sample of my book to see what you’re missing…

Hi Ted…

I’ll check out the link, and I look forward to you bringing us the Bundy info.

Happy New Year to you as well!

Kevin

Hi Bob…

My wife said the same thing. Well, the truth is I don’t do that for a living and I’m not sure how good I’d be at it. My wife says I would have been fine, but I’m not convinced. Personally, I really like the narration by Kevin Pierce. He’s very professional.

Perhaps I’ll do one of my books in the future.

See you on the next post!

Kevin

11. Ted Montgomery says:

Hi friends. You can listen to a pretty cool interview about my book at this link:

Soon, I will be posting some interesting Bundy-related stuff that I’m sure will stimulate vigorous discussion. Happy new year to all.

12. Bob Roberts says:

Kevin. Why didn’t you do the narration for the book yourself? I always find that adds to the tone/feeling, especially in non-fiction audio-books.

The audio edition of my book, The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History, released last October, continues to do well, is garnering lots of nice reviews, and, as I must admit, is a joy to listen to! A big thanks must go to the most excellent narrator, Kevin Pierce, for his ability to bring the story into the “now” of our lives as we sit back to listen.
    Click on the free link to the sample, sit back, and prepare yourselves for a nice ride…

Hi all!

I’ll be on Shattered Lives Radio this Saturday at 5:00 pm EST. We’ll be talking about VAMPIRE: THE RICHARD CHASE MURDERS. Here’s the link:

That’s great, Meaghan, congrats!!!

16. Meaghan says:

Hi all,

I have some exciting news (or maybe-possibly-about-to-be news) to report. Last week a reporter from Time Magazine interviewed me about my missing persons database, the Charley Project! We spoke for over half an hour. He would like to do feature story about the work I and others have done online to find missing persons.

He still has to consult with his editor to get the go-ahead for the story. He was supposed contact me with the answer early this week, but he didn’t so I wrote him to ask. He said things have been busy and he hasn’t had time to talk to the editor yet.

Who knows, it might not happen, the editor might not like the story idea. But just to be interviewed at all is a great honor, and the idea of being in Time is really exciting.

I’ll keep you posted!

Tomorrow, January 24th, marks the 26th anniversary of Ted Bundy’s execution. And for those who haven’t read my book, The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History, here’s a link to the audio edition which is available on Amazon, audible, and iTunes…
    (And visit me at wildbluepress.com, for a list of all my books and blogs!)

Hi All…

My publisher, wildbluepress.com, is offering a great sale for the next four days. Buy one true crime eBook for .99 cents and get one free.

Not only that, but other freebees and gifts are available, and you can check it all out here:

Thanks Hal.

20. Hal says:

Just found this short article online, supposedly info from a Florida Corrections Officer. I’d heard the semen-in-a-condom theory for how Bundy fathered a daughter from death row before. But there’s an interesting anecdote about how to get Theodore to lose his temper:

Hi all!

If you haven’t had a chance to check out Serial Killer Quarterly, you’re missing out big time! Here’s a link to the Christmas issue, with my in-depth article on that most evil of killers, Ted Bundy. It’s spine tingling, I tell you, lol!

22. Jack says:

As far as “Chasing the Darkness,” I think it’s a shame that the project stagnated for so long. Based on what little Mike McCann had to say about it, it seemed he felt they were on the verge of something revelatory.

There was a comment he made that after mining Stephen Michaud’s original tapes, he discovered a throwaway comment that Bundy made that apparently lent itself heavily towards involvement in an unsolved homicide. Possibly a homicide only tenuously linked to the killer previously. We will probably never know what got Mike so excited.

The integrity of such a project depended on proving something that was unprovable, of sorts. It was conjecture and speculation, but damn, I think it would have been fascinating stuff. It seemed like quite a few channels were interested in the material, but Mike did not want to acquiesce control or compromise the run-time.

As such, I missed the Death Row Tapes program when it aired and now only fractions of it can be found on Youtube.

Happy New Year, Bob!

24. Bob Roberts says:

Happy new year, all!

Hi All!

Now an audio book, The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History, having a running time of nearly 12 hours and brilliantly narrated by Kevin Pierce, is receiving outstanding reviews on audible.com. Indeed, even I’m enjoying listening to it! Another plus: anyone who’s previously purchased the Kindle edition of my book can purchase the audio book for just $3.95. That’s one heck of a deal for sure!

And don’t forget, my new book, Vampire: The Richard Chase Murders, published by WildBlue Press, is now an audio book as well. So stop by wildbluepress.com to see links to all my books, and while you’re there, check out my blogs on all things true crime…

“if he said he killed a man” it should read

Hi Ted, Fiz, and all!

Browne did travel to Florida and met with Bundy, as did others from around the country. That said, if Bundy told Browne he killed a hundred women, I think we can take that with a grain of salt.

Also, he he said he killed a man, don’t believe it. Bundy was terrified of confrontations with men, and avoided them at all cost.

I haven’t heard a thing about Browne’s book, other than when it was first announced when all of this first hit the papers.

As to Chasing the Darkness, I think after the deal was struck for Ted Bundy: The Death Row Tapes, which was shown on MSNBC in November 2012, it kinda ended there. And really, that’s fine, because that was exceedingly well done.

And you know, when Mike McCann first contacted me about Chasing the Darkness, he had not yet obtained any of the files from the King County Archives, nor had he contacted Bob Keppel, so I encouraged him to do so with both. I told him Bob would be open to talking with him (he was), and that the archives would have everything he needed (it did). I also helped him get in contact with Jerry Thompson and mike Fisher, and he was able to get things going with others as well. And so, when one is doing a project, things can evolve, and I think that’s what happened with Chasing the Darkness. Instead of continuing down that road, they decided to go down the road of the death row tapes and build a story around them. Personally, I think it was a very wise decision. I haven’t spoken with Mike about any of this, but i think that’s probably what happened.

28. Fiz says:

I did wonder about that book. Oh well!

29. Ted Montgomery says:

No chance that Bundy confessed to John Henry Browne. Browne claims that he visited Bundy in prison in Florida, but there is absolutely no record of that visit. Just the fact that Browne’s “book” hasn’t seen the light of day should tell us all we need to know about the veracity of his claims. Just like “Chasing the Darkness,” which has never come out, even nearly four years after it was “completed.” A simple equation: Too many wild claims, too few facts to back them up.

Hi Larry G!

Yeah, the site is a good one. He really worked hard on it and the interest is clearly there. I was so happy to see the pic of Healy’s housemates minus the one who was probably taking the picture.

Good catch on the picture mistake, Larry.

Don’t be a stranger 🙂

Kevin

31. Larry G says:

Hey Kevin and all-Thanks for the link to the research paper on Bundy. It was fantastic, all the theories and maps were awesome. I’m the guy that has been trying to figure out exactly where the Issaquah hillside was, and if the guy is right, good to finally know. I’m 2,000 miles away so it’s not like I was ever going to make a trek up the hill, but I was very curious.

I just wanted to point out that the “new” photo the author identifies as Georgeann Hawkins is not her–it’s a friend of hers Yvonne Timm/Spearing:

Just wanted to point that out. Some of the new pictures of victims showing up on the “Remembering the Victims of Ted Bundy” Facebook page are fascinating. Pretty funny, I screen-captured pics of Denise Oliverson and Laura Aime and sent them to the administrator of that site and he posted them. It’s funny to see how many places around the web are using those screen shots from my PC now. It is also a testament that I am not crazy in my deep interest in Ted Bundy. So that’s good :).

Happy Holidays.

Hi all!

You can now follow me on Twitter

@KevinMSullivan1

33. Arnar Þór Þórsson says:

What do you guys make of this clip from youtube?

I personally think this is bs!

Today is launch day for my book on Richard Chase. It’s a new edition by WildBlue press, newly edited with additional photos. Here’s the links:

35. Shelley says:

Last comment refers to a previous post that had a link in it and is still waiting for moderation so what I said doesn’t make sense until it shows up. 🙂

Hey Shelley

37. Shelley says:

I misspoke. You do have to sign up to get the PDF. Didn’t realize I was still “logged in”. Regardless, it’s a good second article.

He entitled that first article as “part 1”. I wonder if/when other parts will be published. I will be on the lookout.

38. Shelley says:

Kevin: Excellent find. Thanks! Using that link I did find a website with that article where you don’t have to sign up for anything to download the PDF. This site also has another article written by Rob Dielenberg called “Ted Bundy: steps to murder” which is very good (so far) and has a picture of Ted and Samuel Cowell circa 1950 which I have never seen before.

39. Meaghan says:

Ooh, I found a picture of Georgeann Hawkins I’ve never seen before. *adds it to the Charley Project*

That’s great, Meaghan.

Here’s a nice link to photos and info on Bundy. I ran into this site completely by accident, and it has some pictures I’ve never seen before. In particular, there is a good shot of Lynda Healy’s housemates, and, like with my book, all of their real names are used.

Hi Sonia 🙂

Yes, her real name is Diane Edwards, but I call her Carla Browning in my book.

From what I have learned, Diane was a pretty woman and was, as you correctly assumed, from a wealthy San Francisco family. She was cultured and Ted Bundy was not from the same social /economic background and he found this attractive. I’m also sure he had very good feelings for her even though he was a true psychopath. And it did devastate him when she broke off the relationship.

Of course, Bundy would win her back later, but this was only so he could get even with her by dumping her. Strange, isn’t it?

42. Sonia says:

Hi Kevin,
    Have you ever heard about anything about Stephanie Brooks (the girl who broke it off with Bundy) and what her take on the whole relationship was? I know she was rich and all that but why was Bundy so taken with her? Like there’s other fish in the sea

Hi all…
    Just a quick note to let you know, that my book, Vampire: The Richard Chase Murders, will be released on December 2, by WildBlue Press. It’s a diabolical tale of a madman running wild, and it’s death to anyone who crosses his path.
    Only $2.99, and available for pre-order…

Hi Arnar,

If you don’t have the book already, you can order it from Amazon, and I can sign a bookplate and mail it to you.

The only other way to do it is to mail me the actual book, and enclose within the package a folded and stamped mailer with proper postage for weight, etc, and I’ll sign the book and get it right back to you in said mailer.

So just let me know, and you can email me directly at :

kevin_sullivan31@yahoo.com

I’m looking forward to hearing from you. 🙂

Kevin

Hi all,

Say, if you own the Kindle edition of my book, The Bundy Murders, you can purchase on Amazon the 12 hour audio version for only $3.99

1. Arnar Þór Þórsson says:

Hi Kevin.

Is there any possibility of purchasing a signed copy of your book ‘The Bundy Murders, A Comprehensive History’.

This book is the only one missing from my collection and it would be just great getting a signed copy from you.

Greetings from Iceland

Arnar.

Hi all…

Check out my new web page at WildBlue Press…

1. Tony says:

“A newlywed disposes of his bride… but doesn’t know what to do with her head.”

I’m intrigued.

I have some free, complementary audiobook copies of my Bundy book now available. If you would like to have one, email me @: kevin_sullivan31@yahoo.com.

Please leave a review on Amazon when you’re finished. You can leave it at the trade paper site or at Kindle for The Bundy Murders, and it will roll over to the audiobook site. This is very helpful to the writer.

Thank you.

Remember, these are audiobooks, and when I receive your email request, I’ll send you the code and the instructions.

Hi all…

This Wednesday, at 9:00 pm EST, I’ll be on True Murder, with Dan Zupansky. We’ll be discussing my book (coauthored with Gregg Olsen), Death of a Cheerleader. Here’s the link…

Hey Allan…sorry about leaving one “l” out of your name above, lol!

Hi all…

My book, The Bundy Murders, is now an audio book on Amazon, Audible and iTunes…

Comments are closed.