March 8th, 2009 Headsman
This blog takes a broad view of martyrdom, but for martyrs of the classically pious cast, nobody fills the cemeteries like Holy Mother Church.
Say what you will about the official martyrology and those that populate it — like all martyrs, they have something to tell us about their world and ours.
Join Executed Today over the next four days as we listen to some martyrs’ stories of the violently negotiated boundaries — geographical, temporal, political, and spiritual — of Church authority and identity as against the communities that disputed it.
Mar. 8: St. Philemon the Actor
Mar. 9: St. Bruno of Querfurt
Mar. 10: St. John Ogilvie
Mar. 11: St. Eulogius of Cordoba
On this day..
- 1734: Judith Defour, in the Gin Craze - 2016
- 1715: Lips Tullian, outlaw and comic hero - 2015
- 1782: The Gnadenhutten Massacre - 2014
- 1945: Karl Hulten, for the Cleft Chin Murder - 2013
- 1862: Martin Dumollard, l'assassin des bonnes - 2012
- 1916: Three in the Mexican Revolution - 2011
- 1951: The Lonely Hearts killers, tortured by love - 2010
- 1845: An Italian highwayman, as witnessed by Dickens - 2008
Entry Filed under: Themed Sets