5 comments March 17th, 2009 Headsman
On this date in 2006, one of Beijing’s wealthiest plutocrats (along with two of his relatives) caught a lethal injection for the shady side of his business.
Though worth billions (or at least hundreds of millions), Yuan went down over the trivial sum of $9 million — the amount he reckoned a business associate had taken by fraud.
But then, it’s always impolite to count the corpses stuffed into the pillars of capital. The surprise here is that Yuan got caught: he’d hired a dirty cop to kill that business partner, but after the plot failed the cop started blackmailing the tycoon. Yuan responded by hiring his brother and cousin to pop the cop.
Those billions bought him five months.*
* The mogul’s wife, Tibetan dancer Zhou Ma, was herself swindled during this period as she spread around cash trying to save her husband’s life.
Also on this date
- 1713: Juraj Janosik, Slovakian social bandit
- 1662: Rose Cullender and Amy Denny, Bury St. Edmunds witches
- 1995: Flor Contemplacion, OFW
- 1999: Andrew Kokoraleis, the last ever in Illinois?
- 1834: Fusilamientos de Heredia
- 1915: Four French Corporals, for cowardice