Add comment January 28th, 2010 Headsman
Shortly after midnight this morning — local time at Dhaka Central Jail — five officers who in 1975 assassinated Bangladesh founding father Sheikh Mujibur Rahman (and most of his family) were hanged for the crime.
The 34 1/2 years were mostly passed with the killers safe under an Indemnity Act predictably granted by the coup government that profited from the murder. (Though that government wasn’t afraid to hang members of its base.)
That act was revoked after a generation’s military rule with the 1996 election of Mujib’s daughter Sheikh Hasina Wazed, who was lucky enough to be in West Germany when her family was slaughtered.
Even so, the case has had a tortuous path since through the Bangladeshi judiciary.
Once it finally reached the terminus, the government did the hemp necktie routine with dispatch just this side of seemly. Only hours after the doomed men’s last appeal was turned aside, Lt. Col. Syed Faruque Rahman, Lt. Col. Sultan Shahriar Rashid Khan, Lt. Col. Muhiuddin Ahmed, Maj. A.K.M. Mohiuddin Ahmed, and Maj. Bazlul Huda were hanged.
Their hanging does not close the book on the Mujib assassination.
Seven other death sentences in absentia remain; six of those condemned are still alive, and at large abroad. Bangladesh is trying to get them back.
On this day..
- 1820: The slaves Ephraim and Sam, "awful dispensation of justice" - 2017
- 1573: Lippold ben Chluchim, scapegoat - 2016
- 1989: Teng Xingshan, butcher - 2015
- 1820: Not Stephen Boorn, saved by newsprint - 2014
- 1656: Joris Fonteyn, anatomized and painted - 2013
- 1697: John Fenwick, bitter - 2012
- 1829: William Burke, eponymous body-snatcher - 2011
- Themed Set: The Medical Gaze - 2011
- 1953: Derek Bentley, controversially - 2009
- 1853: Nicholas Saul and William Howlett, teenage New York gangsters - 2008
Entry Filed under: 21st Century,Assassins,Bangladesh,Capital Punishment,Death Penalty,Execution,Hanged,History,Infamous,Mass Executions,Murder,Notable for their Victims,Power,Ripped from the Headlines,Soldiers,Treason
Tags: 2010, 2010s, akm mohiuddin ahmed, bazlul huda, coup d'etat, dhaka, dhaka central jail, january 28, literally executed today, muhiuddin ahmed, mujib, sheikh hasina wazed, sheikh mujibur rahman, sultan shahriar rashid khan, syed faruque rahman