1939: Mikayil Mushfig, Azerbaijani poet 1757: Admiral John Byng

1985: Stephen Morin, serial killer convert

March 13th, 2010 Headsman

On this date in 1985, Texas executed serial killer Stephen Morin for murdering and robbing Carrie Marie Scott in 1981 — one of at least three, and up to thirty, of his victims, most of whom were (unlike Scott) abducted for rape and kindred brutalizing.

Just the sixth person executed in Texas under its modern death penalty regime, Morin was an IV drug addict.

Death chamber technicians required 40-plus minutes to bore through the resultant scar tissue well enough to poison Morin. He’s been a bullet point on the anti-lethal injection brief ever since. (Oddly, Morin’s execution is not on this list of recent botches.)

But Morin’s most prominent afterlife is a very different object lesson: not medical ethics, but spiritual warfare.

It seems the last woman he kidnapped, Margy Mayfield, survived the encounter by converting the desperate fugitive to evangelical Christianity; this story is still stocked and sold by Focus on the Family. This is Mayfield’s own account of their meeting.

To judge by his last statement, Morin took his conversion to the gurney.

But others who knew Morin better in life (and, creepily, helped him soundproof his murder-mobile) … are a bit more skeptical about him.

Also on this date

Entry Filed under: 20th Century,Botched Executions,Capital Punishment,Common Criminals,Crime,Death Penalty,Execution,Lethal Injection,Murder,Rape,Religious Figures,Serial Killers,Texas,Theft,USA

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

27 thoughts on “1985: Stephen Morin, serial killer convert”

1. Jesse H. Soliz says:

I saw a different side to Stephen Peter Morin. As the Austin Police Officer who arrested, transported and booked Morin into jail I spent hours with a Murder and Con Artist who would say what ever it took to win the confidence of the person he engaged.

I have kept my silence but now that my profession nears its end I feel I must reveal my small part in this demons existence. The things he said, the behaviors encountered are worth hearing.

Jesse Soliz
    Austin, Texas

2. KYGB says:

Jesse, thanks for your comments. Where do you intend to expound upon your remarks? Would you provide more information in the comments section here?

Kindly let us know. Sounds like it would be a great read.

3. Jesse H. Soliz says:

If you don’t mind me asking, how do you tie into Morin? He is one of many incidents that haunt me to this day and although I remember him as if it were yesterday, I have notes from the night I came in contact with him. I’m not sure how or just how soon but rest assured that it’s forthcoming. Thanks for the reply…J

4. Headsman says:

I can’t speak for KYGB or any other individual commenter on this blog, Jesse, but as the writer of the piece and general maintainer of the site, I have no direct connection to Morin or anyone involved in his life or case. It’s a blog about interesting death penalty cases; Morin’s is interesting.

5. Ruth Davis says:

I served as a juror on his murder trial of Carrie Marie Scott. After all these years I still find it hard to believe some of the things about him that came out in the trial. That experience haunts me to this day.

I, too, am interested in what Officer Soliz has to say. I would like to compare his thoughts and impressions with my own –

6. Robbin says:

I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT CARRIE MARIE SCOTT TODAY, SHE WAS LIKE A SISTER TO ME. SHE WAS MY SISTERS BEST FRIEND, SHE HAD A HARD LIFE GROWING UP. MY PARENTS TOOK HER IN WHEN SHE WAS A YOUNG TEEN. SHE CALLED MY PARENTS MOM AND DAD. THEN SHE MOVED TO SAN ANTONIO WITH MY SISTER CIANNE. I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN AT THE TRIAL I WAS YOUNG AT THE TIME. THANK GOD FOR THE LETHAL INJECTION. CARRIE WAS TAKEN FROM MY FAMILY AND HER FAMILY. LISTENING TO THESE MESSAGES AND RECORDINGS ARE AMAZING. MORIN WAS A TERROR TO OUR SOCIETY. HE WAS PUT WHERE HE BELONGS.
    CARRIE MARIE SCOTT WE STILL LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU.
    LOVE ROBBIN

7. Exodia says:

This is interesting case, in the morbid sick and twisted isle. 40 minutes looking for a vein wasn’t enough

8. Christine B says:

I cannot even begin to imagine the deep anger and sorrow that the family and friends of all of Stephen Morin’s victims have to live with day in and day out. My sincerest condolences. As for Officer Soliz, I have no doubt that you witnessed a demon-filled man…I’ve seen possessed people and it is truly undeniable.

In no way, do I want to minimize the pain, suffering or experiences, or all who have been affected by Stephen Morin . My heart truly breaks for you. I do believe in the power of our All Mighty God and I pray that He bring you a sense of peace and love again. I believe that Jesus died on the cross as an ultimate sacrifice for our sins. He has taken all our sins on the cross and we need to forgive in order to be forgiven. When you forgive, you are by no means condoning the behaviour of the the person you are forgiving. But rather, you are releasing yourself from the bondage that this hatred is holding you in. I know it’s not easy…are things worth having ever easy? I just hope that you can come to that place.

9. Victor Gramrosa says:

My name is Victor Gramrosa,Cheryl Ann Daniel was my girlfriend for almost 3 years up unt the day of her disapearance when we separated . Moron abducted and raped and tortured her beginning that night for two to three weeks. They found his wallet by her body 6 months after. Morin was a monster who got only a small portion of what he deserved. I would like to thank the arresting officer Jessie Soliz. I would also like to express my sincere condolences to the other family and friends of the victims of this monster. Please write the ACLU and let them know this man was not a botched exicution. It was a succesful one They could use someone innocent of murder for thier poster boy. 30 years later I still think of Cheri every day. I have no closure , just a big empty hole where my heart used to be.

In the spirit of “for what it’s worth” I pass along the following:

In my years of ministry, I have dealt with thousands of people, from sweet little old ladies, to brutal killers, and if there is one thing I have learned about people, it is this: The more hardened a person is, the more difficult they are to reach. Hardened individuals, and especially murderers, in the midst of their criminal activity, do not do the things this man did without some type of transformation occurring. That she survived the encounter is the first sign of something positive happening in his life. The next was his complete willingness to talk to her; the next was his calling out to God; the next was his letting her go; the next sign was his allowing himself to be captured without putting up a resistance; and finally, his apparent continence in whatever happened to him that day, by leading the warden of the prison to the person he’d come to believe in.

So here we have a very odd story of an extremely brutal killer of women, coming to a cross roads in life, and suddenly his life is changed. So do I believe this conversion was genuine? I would have to say, based on the aforementioned facts, yes.

All of that said: He was still a potentially dangerous man, for we cannot know, had he remained free, what other factors out there could have swayed him from his apparently new-found faith. Perhaps nothing, but we will never know. And because he committed these terrible crimes, he still had a penalty to pay, so the state of Texas did the correct thing in putting him to death.

As always, my heart goes out to the women he murdered, and the lives of the living he ultimately destroyed.

11. Renee says:

Here is something that nobody knows we met him and a woman named Rita she was from New York and owned a antique store Little did she know Steve would try to Blow her head off in front me 6 months pregnant the Dad and his Brother and Sarah the woman who would end up being with Steve on his finial killing.Back to Rita we knew her for about a week in which she told us some Crazy stories !She was a Nice person we suggested she go back home ASAP Anyway that night if it wasn’t for the Brother telling Steve” Man cant You See were trying to Watch TV” ! He’d would have shot her in the head no problem!I was scared !all i could think of was getting shot in my stomach.I often think how she may be doing! that was just the start of it!

12. Wes says:

Anyone who was tied to Morin, especially you Officer Soliz, would like to contact me regarding the case, please email me at wesley228 at gmail.com

13. Neesy says:

Wes, I am going to try and reach you. My father was the attorney who was court appointed to take on this case. I was living in Pt. Aransas at the time and my good friend Sarah was in fact with Stephen through the killings. I am told she was way too scared to leave, thus she got life in prison. I am trying to find the file(s) my father kept of Stephen. In the end, Stephen gave my dad his bible.

14. john says:

I believe there will be many suprises in heaven. We all are infected with the same terminal disease as steven. But Steven was offered the remedy by an obedient servant of God and he took it.

15. Jess Brown says:

Morin is number five on the botched execution list. :-)

16. Brought to my attention by one of the area cops who was standing by for arrest. If we repent God proises to save us from the “second death”. If he was sincere in his convertion then he will be at peace – if not his true character would have leaked out during the 5 years in prison. God does not rob society of their justice and so the execution was just and then he will stand before God as we all will and there will be true Justice just not we may want. As a former cop myself and a past resident of several towns in TX I find this story very interesting.

17. catalina pizzafrola says:

Rest assured that this scumbag is with his father Satan right now!

18. PaybacksRAB_tch says:

Too bad the state of Texas couldn’t of bashed his f_ckin’ skull in.

19. JB says:

I am not saying that this person was saved, but if Jesus can save any person, He could’ve saved him. It is possible. The rejection of Jesus is the only unforgivable sin. It is a death sentence in itself.

20. lily says:

Does anybody knew where he was born . That is always missing in the stories .

21. After listening to the testimony of the woman he abducted I agree his conversion was genuine. I concur with Kevin Sullivan, there were too much consistency with actions that didnt have to occur. He could have appealed. Usually when someone’s lies or conning people its to gain something. I have searched officer Soliz on the subject and can’t find anything. It’s been four years since this comment was made and I am interested in what the officer has to say.I do understand how hard it is to accept his conversion and without understanding Gods mercy its impossible

22. Here’s a sidenote, look up David Berkowitz, the Son of Sam killer from the 70s

23. Eric says:

I read that he said he didn’t remember any if his killings except the one he did last, and said it was te drugs. But a son of one of the women he travelled with said he carpeted his van to make it noise free and that he apparently was aware of his deads. Why didn’t he confess all his deeds to the authorities? Did he meet the Tulsa minister before his arrest he was wanting to meet? Was he baptized one week later after his arrest? The report by this minister talks about that he heard he had to repent while in the car from a voice he heard, like the voice speaking to Saul of Tarsus in the bible , if this was so I believe it, but I can’t find this story elsewhere

24. Eric says:

I found a webpage where Margaret Mayfield , who was obducted and spent ten hours with him, talks about the events. She confirmed ( in the end of the recording, in a later telephone call) that Steven Morin told her later , when she visited him in prison, he heard this voice in the car, saying that this was the last time he have a chance to respond to the call to repentance .

I do think the repentance was real, he repented and even through his example a warden came to faith, as you will hear in the end. People who read this and hear this tape will find it maybe too weird or too good to be true. It is a completely different language and life this Margeret is speaking and talking of, I do testify that this kind of life and belief in The Lord is real. It is not normal , it is not common, it is a change of heart and mind and thought life. To be able to help a serial killer and feel love and finally even be an instrument to his radical conversion and becoming a new man, that is only possible when the One that makes this happen , God allmighty, changed you.
    May that happen to many many , if not all people of America.