January 10th, 2011 Headsman
According to a Reuters report, it was on this date last year that an al Shabaab militant was publicly shot in Somalia by a pro-government militia.
You might remember them from this summer’s World Cup: they’re the guys who bombed World Cup viewers in Uganda, killing 76. Al Shabaab (allegedly al Qaeda-linked) basically controls southern Somalia with its allies.
“We don’t normally kill al Shabaab members,” explained a spokesman for the Ahlu Sunna Waljama’a paramilitary, in cheerily chilling terms. “We arrest them and make them understand that Islam means peace.”
The unnamed character we notice this date apparently failed to “understand,” and was shot for not renouncing his affiliation.
“This commander insisted that all people were infidels except his group … We will execute al Shabaab members who insist that it can be right to kill the innocent. What else are we supposed to do to those who believe they will go to paradise for killing us and the whole human race?”
The execution nevertheless failed to quell the intractable Somali Civil War.
Part of the Themed Set: 2010.
On this day..
- 1870: John Gregson, drunk and disorderly - 2017
- 1946: Laszlo Bardossy, former Prime Minister - 2016
- 1430: Ten men beheaded, and an eleventh man married - 2015
- 2013: Zhang Yongming, cannibal corpse - 2014
- 1879: Benjamin Hunter, in the Hunter-Armstrong Tragedy - 2013
- 1937: Martemyan Ryutin, for his affair - 2012
- 1645: William Laud, given to the devil - 2010
- 1934: Marinus van der Lubbe, for the Reichstag fire - 2009
- 1775: Yemelyan Pugachev - 2008