January 11th, 2011 Headsman
Al-Johani was convicted of four rape-robberies with a similar m.o.: pose as a taxi driver, then drive the female passenger to the outskirts of town and assault her.
The sex attacks were uncovered after an attempted rape — commonly referred to as the “Aziziyah girl case” — in 2005. The Aziziyah girl, a 19-year-old secondary school student, was with her sister-in-law heading for her uncle’s home at around 10 p.m. when they got into Al-Johani’s pickup.
As they came close to the uncle’s home, Al-Johani began driving around in circles, saying he was unsure of the location and then drove off at high speed. The two women became suspicious and the Aziziyah Girl threatened to throw herself out of the car if he did not stop.
Al-Johani ignored their demands, and the 19-year-old threw herself out of the car. She died immediately from her injuries. Al-Johani then threw out the other woman who sustained serious injuries.
Part of the Themed Set: 2010.
On this day..
- 2017: Christopher Wilkins, straight talker - 2017
- 1957: Jack Gilbert Graham, terror of the skies - 2016
- 1830: William Banks, housebreaker - 2015
- 1909: The Pollet gang, breaking the French moratorium - 2014
- 1951: Harley LaMarr, dutiful son - 2013
- 1801: Chevalier, bomb plot scapegoat - 2012
- 1897: The Thirteen Martyrs of Bagumbayan - 2010
- 2003: Nobody in Illinois - 2009
- 1944: Galeazzo Ciano and four other Italian Fascists - 2008