Add comment January 13th, 2011 Headsman
Liu Lieyong* was sentenced to death for the crimes of organizing and leading an organized criminal gang, murder, blackmail, illegal possession of arms and gambling, said a statement from the SPC.
Chen Xiaohui was convicted of participating in an organized criminal gang, murder, intentional injury, inciting disorder and illegal possession of arms.
Another 19 people convicted in the case received jail terms from one year with two-year reprieve to suspended death sentences, said the statement.
The crime gang, founded by Liu in the city of Xiantao in Hubei in 2001, had opened casinos, which were illegal in China, illegally forced the transfer of shares in local bus companies and manipulated local cement and food markets.
Liu instructed gang members, including Chen, to murder one person. Chen was also held responsible for another death and nine injuries, the statement said.
The statement did not give details about their victims. According to a report in the Wuhan Morning Post in February 2008, one of the victims was Hu Dongfeng, head of a rival gang in Xiantao. Six of Liu’s gang members ambushed him and shot him dead.
* Not to be confused with the singer and actress Liu Liyang.
Part of the Themed Set: 2010.
On this day..
- 1973: Lt. Col. Mohamed Amekrane, no asylum - 2017
- 1864: Private Samuel Jones, in retaliation for Private Daniel Bright - 2016
- 1809: Seven Valladolid ruffians, by Napoleon - 2015
- 1869: William German, surprising Klan lynch victim - 2014
- 1979: Pin Peungyard, Gasem Singhara, and (twice) Ginggaew Lorsoungnern - 2013
- 1943: Jarvis Catoe - 2012
- 1825: Joaquim do Amor Divino Rabelo, Frei Caneca - 2010
- 1759: The Tavora family - 2009
- 1871: Kawakami Gensai - 2008