February 13th, 2012 Headsman
On this date in 2009, a husband was hanged with two friends for murdering a wife who shorted him on his dowry.
The three were hanged at one minute past midnight in western Jessore jail after they failed to secure presidential pardons for the murder of Minu Ara, 18, the official, Kamrul Huda, said.
Their execution follows that of two men in southern Bangladesh in December over a similar dowry murder.
So-called “dowry deaths” — including not only outright murder but suicide driven by in-laws’ mistreatment — reportedly produces several thousand deaths per year in South Asia, including Pakistan and India.
Also on this date
- 1864: Bizoton Affair executions
- 1859: Father Paul Loc, Vietnamese martyr
- 1892: Two Georgian bandits, witnessed by Stalin
- 1906: William Williams, the last hanged in Minnesota
- 1542: Kathryn Howard, the rose without a thorn
- 1942: Patrick Stanley Vaughan Heenan, Japanese spy