Add comment August 1st, 2012 Headsman
On this date in 1924, Felix McMullen was hanged in Ireland.
McMullen had attempted to rob a bank in Baltinglass …
Jurors proved highly reluctant to convict him, with a first jury discharged because it refused to come to a murder verdict, and a second panel issuing the conviction when forced to choose between murder and outright acquittal. (No manslaughter half-measures.) Both juries then petitioned for McMullen’s reprieve.
On this day..
- 1831: John Bell, age 14 - 2015
- 1548: Seraphin d'Argences - 2014
- 1556: Joan Waste, in Windmill Pit - 2013
- 1946: Andrei Vlasov, turncoat Soviet general - 2011
- Feast Day of the Holy Maccabees - 2010
- 1997: Norio Nagayama, spree killer and author - 2009
- 1917: Frank Little of the IWW lynched - 2008