August 1st, 2012 Headsman
On this date in 1924, Felix McMullen was hanged in Ireland.
McMullen had attempted to rob a bank in Baltinglass …
Jurors proved highly reluctant to convict him, with a first jury discharged because it refused to come to a murder verdict, and a second panel issuing the conviction when forced to choose between murder and outright acquittal. (No manslaughter half-measures.) Both juries then petitioned for McMullen’s reprieve.
Also on this date
- 1556: Joan Waste, in Windmill Pit
- 1946: Andrei Vlasov, turncoat Soviet general
- Feast Day of the Holy Maccabees
- 1997: Norio Nagayama, spree killer and author
- 1917: Frank Little of the IWW lynched