January 2nd, 2013 Headsman
On this date in 1946, former Nazi Kreisleiter Franz Strasser was hanged at Landsberg Prison for war crimes.
Strasser was condemned for shooting five downed American airmen in Czechoslovakia in December 1944, an American tribunal dismissing the defense: “There is not a scintilla of evidence to support STRASSER’s contention that he shot the prisoners to prevent their escape.” (A pdf scan of the entire verdict is here.)
On this day..
- 1863: William Ockold, the last hanged at Worcester - 2016
- 1477: Gerolamo Olgiati, ducal assassin - 2015
- 1997: Eight foes of Qaddafi - 2014
- 10 executions that defined the 1990s - 2012
- 1916: Sergeant John Robins, before evacuating Gallipoli - 2012
- 1981: Cipriano, Eugenio, and Ventura García-Marín Thompson - 2011
- 1645: John Hotham the Younger - 2010
- Daily Double: John Hothams - 2010
- 1994: Mansour Kikhia? - 2009
- 1663: Illiam Dhone - 2008