May 31st, 2013 Headsman
The July 13, 1793 Wyndham (Conn.) Herald quotes the last dying words of Ezra Mead, hanged May 31 at Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
I, Ezra Mead, aged forty years, was born at Stamford in the State of Connecticut, of honest and credible parents, with whom I lived until I was about ten years of age; when I was bound as an apprentice to learn the Cooper’s trade. After having served the time of my apprenticeship, I went to Fish Kill and married my wife Catherine Rogers; since which time I have been in several parts of the World working at my trade, in order to get something in an honest way by my industry for the support of my wife and children, who resided in the town of Fish Kill. Having returned to my family, I resided with them, but being afflicted by a certain neighbor of mine, in words and actions, was driven by turns to drinking to excess; and in one of these fits of insanity, I committed the crime for which I suffer. But I declare to the world, that I was not willfully guilty of the crime aforesaid; at that present moment I might have suspected he had injured me, but not being master of my reason, have been guilty of what I never intended to have done, as appeared in the course of my trial. And I do further declare that I never have been guilty of any other crime deserving such punishment, as has been represented or reported by many evil minded persons since my imprisonment. And that I forgive all mankind, and hope the Lord and they will forgive me, and that they will take warning by my untimely end. Farewell. Ezra Mead.
On this day..
- 1915: Kassim Ismail Mansoor, purveyor of coffee and treason - 2015
- 2000: Robert Earl Carter, exonerating Anthony Graves - 2014
- 1928: Frederick Browne and Pat Kennedy, hanged by a microscope - 2012
- 1841: Marius Darmes, frustrated regicide - 2011
- 1622: Not quite Squanto (Tisquantum), Pilgrim befriender - 2010
- 1076: Waltheof II, Earl of Northumbria - 2009
- 1718: John "Jack Ketch" Price, former hangman - 2008