February 14th, 2014 Headsman
When I killed people I had a desire. This inspired me to kill more. I don’t care whether they deserve to live or not. It is none of my concern…I have no desire to be part of society. Society is not my concern.
On this date in 2004, China executed one of its most prolific serial killers ever.
Yang Xinhai was an impoverished migrant worker with previous theft and rape convictions already to his name when he commenced his infamous spree in 1999.
Over the ensuing four years the so-called “Monster Killer” amassed 67 murders and 23 rapes via terrifyingly bold home invasions: he would break into rural occupied rural dwellings under cover of darkness wielding a heavy iron hammer or similar slasher-villain melee weapon, and then just go to town.
“He didn’t leave survivors, and more than a few families were exterminated by his hand,” one newspaper report described. (In fact, about five people are known to have survived Yang’s various attacks.)
The last of his slayings — eight people in two different attacks in Hebei Province villages — occurred a bare six months before Yang himself caught a bullet to the back of his end. A routine police stop in November 2003 made him a little too shifty and prompted beat cops to detain him. Almost immediately the diabolical character of their new capture spilled out.
Yang himself didn’t see the point in resisting the inevitable. He provided a full confession, didn’t bother to defend himself in an hour-long trial on February 1, 2004, and declined to mount any sort of appeal to prevent his swift execution 13 days after that.
On this day..
- 1943: Dora Gerson, cabaret singer - 2017
- 1873: John Gaffney, hanged by a President - 2016
- 1942: Matvey Kuzmin, modern-day Ivan Susanin - 2015
- 1548: Francesco Burlamacchi, Lucca republican - 2013
- 1845: John Gordon, the last hanged in Rhode Island - 2012
- 1554: David van der Leyen and Levina Ghyselius, Anabaptist martyrs - 2011
- 1994: Andrei Chikatilo, the Butcher of Rostov - 2010
- 1530: Tangaxuan II, the last Tarasco ruler - 2009
- 270: St. Valentine - 2008