May 21st, 2014 Headsman
Last year on this date, to the impotent howls of human rights groups, five men were beheaded in Jizan, Saudi Arabia and then “crucified.” “In Saudi Arabia, the practice of ‘crucifixion’ refers to the court-ordered public display of the body after execution,” Amnesty UK noted, “along with the separated head if beheaded. It takes place in a public square to allegedly act as a deterrent.”
Here’s how these five deterred. If you look closely you’ll see the “along with the separated heads” bobbing near each decapitated corpse in little white bags … and if you’re still not convinced, click for a ghastly higher-quality close-up view.
Jizan is a city being
As an inducement to more legitimate folk to stay on the straight and narrow, the quintuple gibbet evidently graced the environs of Jizan’s university. Study hard, lads.
A sixth and unconnected Saudi was also beheaded on the same date in the nearby city of Abha.
On this day..
- 1912: Rev. Clarence Richeson, minister, madman, and murderer - 2015
- 1940: Cayetano Redondo, former mayor of Madrid - 2013
- 1484: Olivier le Daim, diabolical barber - 2012
- 1894: Six anarchists in Barcelona - 2011
- 1997: Bruce Edwin Callins, in the machinery of death - 2010
- 1894: Emile Henry, because there are no innocent bourgeois - 2009
- 1425: Parisina Malatesta and Ugo d'Este, for incest - 2008