February 18th, 2015 Meaghan
COMPOSED ON THE EXECUTION OF
W. CLEMENT’S: [maddening sic]
Who was SHOT for Desertion, on Fort Independence, Feb. 18
having been four times Pardoned, but having last Deserted his Post, was condemned to die.
The thoughts of death to every mind,
Most sad reflection’s [sic] brings;
But when man’s life is seek’d for crimes,
Then conscience gives its stings.
No cheering hope attends the soul,
Which with black guilt is stain’d;
The waves of trouble o’er it roll,
And seldom peace is gain’d,
Alas! that man should treasure woe,
And bring upon his head,
The curse of heaven, the curse of man.
To strike his comforts dead.
Ah! how the bosom of a wife,
Must throb with anxious care,
When once the object of her love,
Is caught in guilt’s dire snare.
His children raise their little hands,
Compassion to implore;
But oh! the father whom they love
Shall never see them more.
Condemn’d for crimes his life to pay,
The fatal hour draws nigh;
Stern justice heard no widow’s moans,
Nor heeds the orphan’s cry.
His comrads [sic] silent stand around,
And heave the mournful sigh,
Their bosoms heave with mingled grief,
No eye from tears is dry.
And now the solemn dirge begins,
They march towards the spot
Where he receives his crimes reward,
And meets his dreadful lot.
For him, perhaps a mother sighs,
And hopes relief to come;
He’ll never bless her longing eyes,
But hear the muffled drum.
And now the holy man of God,
To Heaven addresses prayer
And bids the poor unhappy man,
For his sad doom prepare.
And now the solemn drum rebounds.
His last funereal hymn,
Again the trumpet slowly sounds,
Each eye with grief is dim.
Advancing to the fatal spot,
Still sadder flows the strain;
Ah! now the dreaded scene is o’er,
The corps returns again.
See, see him welt’ring in his blood,
His spirit now has fled,
His life has paid the fatal debt,
He’s number’d with the dead.
Learn, then, ye who for Freedom fight,
To stand firm by your post,
To vindicate your country’s Right,
Nor let your fame be lost.
O! let poor CLEMENT’S [sic] awful fate,
A warning be to all,
Remember he who duty slights,
Will meet a dreadful fall.
On this day..
- 1836: Felipe Santiago Salaverry, President of Peru - 2017
- 1719: Collmore, Hang'd, Quarter'd and his Intrals burn'd - 2016
- Corpses Strewn: Collmore and his gang - 2016
- 1478: The Duke of Clarence, in a butt of malmsey - 2014
- 1862: Margaret Coghlan, the last woman hanged in Tasmania - 2013
- 1799: Constantine Hangerli, tax man - 2012
- 1957: Walter James Bolton, the last hanged in New Zealand - 2011
- 1960: Oliviu Beldeanu, for the Berne incident - 2010
- 1957: Dedan Kimathi, Mau Mau commander - 2009
- 1873: Vasil Levski, for Bulgarian independence - 2008