1 comment February 9th, 2016 Headsman
One of the prime catches in the anti-corruption hunt of current president Xi Jinping, Liu was a mining oligarch whose personal fortune was once valued at $6.4 billion.
He was also allegedly “an organized crime boss that no one dared provoke”. He was arrested early in 2014 for embezzlement, gun-running, and orchestrating a hit on a rival crime lord.
Liu’s fall was widely perceived as a strike against his close ally, the powerful former security minister Zhou Yongkang. After months — years even — of rumors about his impending fate, Zhou was arrested for corruption in December 2014; he has since been sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison.
On this day..
- 1883: Milton Yarberry, Marshal of Albuquerque - 2017
- 1887: Clement Arthur Day - 2015
- 1943: The last five Young Guards shot in Krasnodon - 2015
- c. 415 B.C.E.: The men of Melos - 2014
- Podcast: One For Ten - 2013
- 2013: Afzal Guru, India parliament attack terrorist - 2013
- 1555: John Hooper - 2012
- 2011: Martin Link - 2011
- 1619: Lucilio Vanini, aka Giulio Cesare - 2010
- 1929: José de León Toral, assassin of Álvaro Obregón - 2009
- 1963: Abd al-Karim Qasim, Iraqi Prime Minister - 2008