October 31st, 2016 Headsman
When The Day of the Dead rolls around it’s time to break out the candles for another birthday, somehow Executed Today‘s ninth since it entered crying in 2007. Hell, we’ve been around so long that Day of the Dead has evolved new traditions in our lifetime.
If you’re among the 4,651 or so humans and bots who follow @executedtoday on Twitter you might have inferred from our erratic presence that it’s been more like the nine circles of hell managing the most recent year out.
The frozen lake of the loveless is where bloggers go.
This perdition stuff is as narrow as it is exaggerated. Overall, this writer’s life is in a better place than it was 12 months ago — it’s merely that the transitions involved grievously strain the allotment left for executions. Executioners, strange caste, still have other interests.
The ninth year now in the books was not a triumph but a dark passage, a test to survive; it has not produced many of this site’s greatest posts — and the best among them surely include Meaghan Good’s guest offerings, without which Executed Today would have folded up its gallows long ago — but at least there have been 365 plus the leap year.
We’re ready for Year X.
On this day..
- The Eight Pains: Executed Today's Eighth annual report - 2015
- 1460: Tiburzio di Maso, Roman brigand - 2015
- Seven-Out: Executed Today's Seventh Annual Report - 2014
- 1814: Private John McMillan, deserter - 2014
- Six Years Under: Executed Today's Sixth Annual Report - 2013
- 1698: The last Streltsy executed in October - 2013
- Executed Today's Fifth Annual Report: Hang Five - 2012
- 1907: Evstolia Ragozinnikova - 2012
- Executed Today's Fourth Annual Report: Wrung, Wan and Quartered - 2011
- 1893: Bertha Zillmann, completely prostrate - 2011
- Executed Today's Third Annual Report: Third Time Lucky - 2010
- 1492: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, Nearly Headless Nick - 2010
Entry Filed under: Uncategorized