4 comments March 29th, 2012 Headsman
These two charmers were major figures in Hungary’s horrible final months of World War II.
This occupation lifted the virulent anti-semites Baky and Endre into national power, because along with keeping Hungary in the Axis coalition, the Nazis also forcibly overcame its junior partner’s former reticence about Jewish genocide.
And they had to work fast, because by that next winter the Red Army was seizing Budapest. These enthusiastic fascist operators did not fare well by the postwar government.
* To do justice to the breadth of the human capacity, this is also the time and place where we find Raoul Wallenberg minting lifesaving Swedish passports by the thousands.
On this day..
- 1929: Luther Baker, moonshine bootlegger - 2017
- 1560: Baron de Castelnau, for the Amboise Conspiracy - 2016
- 4 BCE: Antipater, disinherited Herodian - 2015
- 1875: Richard Coates, gunner and rapist - 2014
- Daily Double: Victorian Soldiery - 2014
- 1944: Roger Bushell and others for the Great Escape - 2013
- 1946: Phillip and William Heincy, father and son - 2011
- 1935: Thomasina Sarao, miscalculated - 2010
- 1796: Francois de Charette, Vendee rebel - 2009
- 1720: Charles Vane, an unsinkable pirate - 2008